03. nighttime babysitter

Chapter Three / Nighttime babysitter

"I never find you in the kitchen. Couldn't even pay rent
for three months. Oh, I heard you, I get it you're broke." ——
TUMMY HURTS, Reneé Rapp.

‼️ tw // mention of drowning ‼️

      TONIGHT NIKITA'S MOM ABANDONED the mail in the mailbox again.

It was difficult for Ruth Collins to be a single mother. Her husband was usually there for her and assisted her in raising their children. That was until he drowned himself. He was stressed out until he left and put his stress onto his wife. Nowadays, Ruth often forgets the smallest things like getting the mail or picking up different morsels from the store. Those goals were left for Nikita to accomplish. Which she did not mind but it made her concerned for her mother.

Growing up, especially after her father passed, Nikita sometimes was left with the task of taking care of her brother; Logan. She did things like his laundry or helped him with homework. But now that he's a bit older he does his laundry himself. From time to time, he still needs help with his homework which Nikita occasionally does with him. It's Ruth, or Mom, who is helping him tonight.

Logan is finishing up a couple problems on his own when Mom gets up from her spot at the kitchen table to sit on the couch next to her daughter. Any time Mom would look at Nikita, Mom would see a mixture of herself and Harvey, her husband. She still feels like it's her fault he passed away. When it was not. He loved her.

      "You okay Mom?" Nikita asked calmly.

      "Yes, I just miss your Dad." Mom replies.