Chapter Five

I thought that I'd be running for much longer, but I decided to confront the guy. As I got there, I could already feel my muscles hurting. I started working out with the weights. I love the feeling of my arms getting stronger. After I felt I could no longer lift, I hit the treadmill. I have no idea on what speed I was running, but I felt as if I could faint for a while.

I got out, and when I took a look at my phone, it was already 5 pm. My mum said that her hookup, I mean boyfriend, would come at 6, and not wanting to anger her or spare myself the trouble of listening to her yelling, I figured it was time to go take a shower and head home. I went into the shower room, and the place was filled with naked men. When I was younger, I'd freak out just thinking about getting undressed here, but not now. Now I didn't have wounds I needed to hide, just scars. No one cared or asked me about them anyway. It's not like anyone cared about me to begin with.

I got in the shower and let the hot water run. I decided it was time for a change, even if it was just this once. I didn't want to have to deal with the ice-cold water making my entire body shiver like I'd been stranded naked in Antarctica.

Ten past five. Nice. I'd have enough time to go home for our special guest.

Usually, I don't notice this, but I could tell there was a new car in our local parking space. It didn't look too fancy—just a regular vehicle you see every day. Nothing too cheap, nor too fancy. It had a nice gray color. I like gray actually. It's my favorite color. It's a really nice representation of the clouds above my head. Not too dark for anyone to notice them and not light enough for me to ignore them.

I unlocked the door to my apartment, and when I got inside, I saw these white shoes. They weren't those fancy ones, just regular ones you'd wear to work or for a walk. Considering the fact that they were white, they were really clean. I knew instantly to whom these shoes belonged.

When I got into the living room, I saw two glasses of wine on the table. No alcohol for minors. I bet she doesn't even know how old I am.

"You're here," she said.

I didn't bother to reply with anything. I hate talking to that woman. I hate seeing her face to begin with.

"Daniel is in the bathroom."

My eyes widened. I knew he'd come, but I wasn't expecting it to be ten minutes earlier than planned. I didn't have time to get ready, both physically and emotionally.

"H-he's here?" I struggled to get my words out of my mouth.

My wait for an answer was cut short when a man 16 years my age entered the living room. I didn't take a good look at him the first time I encountered him in that unpleasant incident, but I can see why my mum was after this dude. He looked filthily beautiful. Even I, as a straight guy, have to admit that this guy's genes were a gift from the Greek gods. His jawline could cut stone, while his hunter eyes could bring anyone to their knees.

"Hey," the stranger said shyly. So, I guess I'm not the only one who was nervous about this. "I...I'm Daniel. Nice to meet you." He approached me with his hand held out, and on the inside, I died a bit, thinking that he'd hit me, while he just wanted to shake hands. I didn't show that thought.

"Hi...," I said in a quiet voice. Even though the guy in front of me looked intimidating, I could tell by the way his hand trembled that he was even more nervous than me. I guess it's not an easy experience having to meet your possible future (step-)son.

"Well," my mother broke the three-second silence between all of us, "now that my son is here, Mike, I'd like to introduce you to my fiancé."

I turned my head around to face her. "What?" I asked.

"I'd like to introduce you to my fiancé," she said with a smile on her face, only I could tell was fake. It was the same face she'd use around other people to hide the venom in her emotions, but I was already too skilled to fall for this trap. "Let us all sit."

I didn't react much, but I knew that Daniel could tell I was not happy to hear this unwonderful news. You know, I didn't care that much about my mum getting not another hookup, not another boyfriend this fast, but another fiancé as much as the fact that this guy looked way too innocent and sweet to be a victim of my mother's spite. He looks just like a regular dude that may or may not have fallen for my mother's seduction. Daniel is going to have to suffer now beside me too at the hands of Emilia.

"So," she went off blabbing, "let's get into how we first met." The smile from earlier was still there, but the facade was fading. She was smiling with her mouth but not with her eyes. At least not enough. She was giving me the heebie-jeebies. You know the uncanny valley feeling? Well, that's exactly what I was feeling right now. She didn't even look human. She was no human to me to begin with.

She went on about how they'd met in a bar, how Daniel had seen her crying because of her divorce, and she fell for him apparently because 'he comforted her in times of need' and how 'he understood her like no one else,' and not because this guy was a university professor of engineering. It's not because of the money he was making, no.

While these guys do make a lot of money, he definitely didn't seem like the loaded type. Maybe money just didn't matter to him. Hm, that's a nice way to suck his money out of him – if he doesn't care about it to begin with, if money is just like regular paper, then it's not going to be much of a struggle. What sucks is that the only thing he probably expects to be sucked is him, while that is far from the truth.

I wasn't interested in my mother's blabber. She was romanticizing everything – from how he walked her to her own car, how he offered to drive her, and she also hinted at something else. And I was right. This was right after she found out about the divorce. They had been doing the nasty for two months, and I didn't even know it. Which was much better. I was better off living my life not knowing it.

I took a longer look at Daniel. The guy was obviously a regular at the gym. While he was looking at my mother, I took the time to inspect his biceps. They were nicely built. I also took a look at his chest and oh boy – his man titties even made me thirsty. If that guy put your hand between his hands and his pecs and pressed just enough, you were done for.

I have no idea how long I was staring at his muscular body, but when I took a look at his face again, he was staring right at me. My face turned a nice shade of red. My cheeks were on fire. He knew I was checking him out. There was a smile on his face, but not a smirk or a smile that mocked me in any way, just a friendly smile that said he was no threat.

I noticed that my mum had gone quiet, and to be honest, already being fed up with her nonsense, I excused myself and went to the kitchen to pour myself a nice glass of milk. The milk reminded me of the Greek god my mother had found for her fiancé.

Wait, fiancé? When did they get engaged? Did my mother mention that? I wasn't listening to her as it's been pretty obvious that her words don't mean much to me, but still. Nah. I didn't care, to be honest. She can do whatever she wants. If she gets married, hopefully, she'll be out of this house. I don't care if he mistreats her too – I will be free. I just want her out of my life.

"Just so you know," a witch's voice almost made me piss myself, "Daniel will be spending the night here."

I never agreed to that. You know what sucked the most – the fact that I knew they were probably going to have sex yet again in my own house. For the second time. Or maybe even more. I have no idea how much he's been coming here.

I didn't bother to protest. I didn't want to humiliate her or myself in front of our guest. The better impression he has of her, the sooner he'll marry her, and the faster I'll be rid of her. It's a win-win situation for me. Maybe not for Daniel, but for me.

"Alright," I said. "Just try not to cause too much noise."

"Oh, trust me, honey, we will."

Great. That was the last thing that I wanted to hear from her. The same images flooded my head. She literally ruined my mental health in the worst way possible. Ever since yesterday, I have not been the same person. And that's not saying in a good way.

I went to my room, undressed, and changed into my sleepwear, aka my underwear. I was feeling a tad bit too cold, so I decided to put on a t-shirt too. I took my laptop and scrolled a bit, trying to find a show to watch. After a while, I went for a horror one. It suits me, to be honest – it's like watching my own life through a script of a movie.