Opal's patner

The next day Opal goes to Buttercup's place after she had closed from her night shift. Opal is dressed in an all-black outfit and a mask that is covering her face on the lower part of her face while Buttercup is dressed in an all navy blue bodysuit. They head to an illegal fighting match under a nightclub underground. As they take their sit to watch the march Opal says something that Buttercup has never heard of in her life from Opal.

“Butter…” Opal called out.

“Yeah?” answered Buttercup.

“I’ve been thinking…” Opal says. “I have decided to become a Knight.”

Buttercup could not say anything. The only thing that could be heard was the noise of the crowd cheering the fighters. Buttercup keeps quiet for one whole minute before saying anything.

“Why?” Buttercup asked.

“I want to be more than what I already am. I need more money, better housing and a change of environment.” Opal says.

Buttercup doesn’t say anything for a while but then breaks the silence. 

“I support you.” She says with a reassuring smile on her face. “I too want to leave this dump. But the problem is ‘what if we are not good enough for them?’”

“We just have to try our best at the entrance exam and as trainees. And I heard that the rate of boys joining the exam is dropping but still far more than that of girls in the Empire.”

“Sure. There’s just one problem. You know very well that the Holy Mages will know the amount of powers you have. Those who are from wealthy and powerful bloodlines have multiple powers while those from middle-class bloodlines have more powers than the lowest class 'us' but not as much as or as powerful as the elites. As for us we either have one or two, or not at all. So no matter who you are better not play with magic or spells to win also as a low-class people, it will be a miracle to be part of the Knights.”

“Yeah…”

“By the way. When is it starting and when will it end?”

“It will start by the end of the month and the finials will be in the mid-week of the upper month.”

Buttercup agrees as they start to enjoy their show. As the match was coming to an end, Opal saw a familiar figure but could not just place where she had seen the individual before. The girls enjoy their time at the match as they make it back home.

“That was awesome!!!” said Buttercup with a smile on her face.

“Tell me about it.” Said Opal stripping her clothes off as she got ready to take a bath.

“Hey! Why are you undressing here on the road?”

“We’re in a building full of women. Is there something wrong with that?”

“Well… There’s a man at the corner of that pillar over there by the right.”

Opal and the man locked eyes together. The man notices as he tries to run but is stopped. Opal uses her ice power to freeze him and uses her air elemental power to blow him over to the authority with a message written on the ice where the man is frozen.

“Yet you could have waited till you got inside your house.” Said Buttercup as she followed Opal in her house.

“Next time.” Said Opal in the bathroom taking a shower. As she was drying up her body she saw a small letter pin on the wooden frame of her mirror. She picks it up opens it and reads it. It is written in hieroglyphs.

‘Lady of the night and gigolos’. For the G. reaper awaits in bed to put thy Lord to rest. No red wine… 

-Unknown misfortune.’