Potato Soup In A Bread Bowl

Tommy doesn't sleep much that night.

He tries. How could he not? The entire interaction left him with a mental exhaustion so severe he almost couldn't see straight. But of course, he can't. Because the universe hates him. He lays in bed for hours; staring up at the ceiling and willing himself to close his eyes. Praying for even a little bit of sleep.

But he couldn't. Not with his mind still stuck in the past.

Trapped in an ancient memory from when Raptor was teaching him how to glide as a kid. How he'd spent hours upon hours being dangled from balconies or roofs and told to "Figure it out."

The months he'd spent with his wings bound to his back as a punishment for failing too many times in a row.

So, yeah..To say he doesn't get a ton of sleep that night would be an understatement.

But it's not like he could do anything about it.

He has no way to get comfort in a place like this. He's in enemy territory. Comfort is a luxury reserved for when he's back home at HQ. Not here. Not while he's on a mission.

When Tommy finally wakes up for the last time- jumping and panting from the sinking feeling of falling -it's close enough to the actual morning that he just decides to get up.

He showers, picks out dirt from his feathers, scrubs cold water on his face, brushes his teeth, and prays that no one will question the heavy bags under his eyes.

When he steps out of the room with a yawn, he finds Tubbo and Ranboo in full costume- minus the masks. He startles, and they startle as well when he opens the door. But the moment passes, and Tubbo grins at him as he's tying up part of his hair into a short ponytail. "Morning Tommy! Sorry, did we wake you?"

He shook his head, straightening his hoodie. "No, it's alright..Where're you guys going so early?"

"A morning meeting with Charon-" Tommy tenses, "-then we're out for a quick patrol with The Captain and Warden." Ranboo says, then perks up. "Oh! Speaking of; how did your patrol go last night?"

Instinctively, he brings his wings closer to his back- wishing he could just hide them away. He really doesn't want to explain. Because when he tells them they didn't go anywhere; they'll want to know why. And how was he supposed to explain that without telling them about his wings? And sure, he liked these two. They were nice and seemed genuine enough- but that didn't mean he wanted to share something so personal with them.

Hell, he didn't even want to tell Charon- and he wasn't planning on telling him in the first place. But then the hero had brought him up to the top of the tower..And he'd panicked.

He's not happy about that fact- but it's the truth.

He panicked, and now Charon- his enemy -knew the most embarrassing fact about him. The bastard would probably use it for blackmail or some shit to keep him in line once the facade drops.