four. rory encourages breaking the rules

WITCHY WOMAN
— rory encourages breaking the rules

WITCHY WOMAN— rory encourages breaking the rules

The next afternoon, Mr. D called for an emergency meeting.

Technically — technically — Rory wasn't a cabin leader, since the Stolls held that title for Cabin Eleven. But she was an honorary member of the council because she had been at camp longer than anybody, and her knowledge on camp matters rivaled that of Chiron's.

Rory was tasked with grabbing Percy, who had been elected to carry the Oracle back up to the attic with Grover.

She creeped up the stairs to the attic. The Oracle was back on her stool, and Percy and Grover were leaning against the window sill, talking somberly. Neither had noticed Rory until the top step creaked under her weight.

They both whipped their heads towards her. Percy avoided her gaze. They hadn't had a chance to talk since their spat the day before — but now they had bigger problems to worry about.

"What's up?" Grover asked.

"Mr. D is calling a council of cabin leaders to discuss the prophecy," Rory said. She tried to catch Percy's eye. "That includes you, Wonder Boy."

Percy nodded and silently walked past her, down the stairs. Rory sighed and Grover gave her a weak smile.

"He'll come around," he told her.

She looked up at her friend through her eyelashes. "You're not mad at me?"

"Not mad," Grover shrugged. "A little upset, maybe. But... I know you, Rory. I remember when you were praying to Artemis when we were younger. You were so unhappy. And from what you've told me about the past year — I don't blame you for considering joining."

He let out a deep breath. "I'm sorry I wasn't here with you."

"Grover," Rory chided. "You were looking for Pan! Your life's mission!"

"But you're my friend! Rory, I—I can't believe I missed your claiming."

"It's better you did," she mumbled.

"No! Ror—"

"Are you two coming or what?" Percy yelled back up the stairs, cutting Grover off.

Rory smiled at the satyr and patted his shoulder. "Let's go."

The council was held around a Ping-Pong table in the rec room. Dionysus waved his hand and supplied snacks — Cheez Whiz, crackers, and several bottles of red wine. Then Chiron reminded him that wine was against his restrictions and almost everyone there was underage. Mr. D sighed. With a snap of his fingers the wine turned to Diet Coke. Nobody drank that either.

Mr. D and Chiron sat at one end of the table. Zoë and Bianca di Angelo (who had kind of become Zoë's personal assistant) took the other end. Thalia, Grover, Percy, and Rory sat along the right, and the other head councilors — Beckendorf, Silena Beauregard, and the Stoll brothers — sat on the left. The Ares kids were supposed to send a representative, too, but all of them had gotten broken limbs during capture the flag, courtesy of the Hunters. They were resting up in the infirmary.