Chapter Thirteen: Relapse

"Our aether?" Y/n repeated. "What do you mean it's changing?"

Minseo eyed her hands, "I'm not sure. I can just feel it. Something about me--us--is changing. "

"Is that a good or bad thing?" Y/n asked.

"We'll have to see," Minseo shrugged.

Y/n stared uneasily into the distant details of the campus. He leaned back and into the grass, taking in whatever he could from the diminishing peaceful atmosphere. To his left, Yujin stared at him with the sharpest side-eye he had received in his life. To his right, Youngeun slept on his shoulder--hugging his arm as she did so. To Youngeun's right, Jihoon watched the triangle unfold.

Both freshmen carried bags under their eyes, Y/n's slightly heavier than Youngeun's. Though nothing sat on his shoulders, aside from Youngeun's head, a weight loomed over Y/n.

"Are you two a thing?" Yujin asked. Her tone reflected curiosity, but her eyes said otherwise.

"No... why?" Y/n said apprehensively.

Yujin eyed Youngeun's peaceful face before mimicking Y/n's posture. "No reason! Just never seen two people so close without dating."

"Ah... She says the ground's too uncomfortable," Y/n chuckled.

"Is your arm that comfy too?" Yujin mumbled.

"What?"

Yujin flashed Y/n a wide smile, "Nothing."

Youngeun sleeping on Y/n's shoulder was nothing new. She often took naps there, earning looks and sprouting rumors during middle school. However, this time felt different. There was an extra layer of uneasiness and discomfort--as if just touching each other shot pins and needles through their skin.

"I think it's cute," Jihoon commented. "You two would make a good couple!"

"Neither of us are interested," Y/n quickly dismissed.

He closed his eyes, exhaling lightly. Weeks passed since Minseo mentioned the changes in their aether, yet he felt nothing. It felt like the same energy that started flowing through him just a little over a month ago.

Minseo's been hard to reach recently...

Youngeun sat straight, groaning before placing her head on Y/n's lap. She stretched her hand out toward Y/n's face, locking eyes with him.

"Hold out your hand."

"Okay...?"

Y/n did as told, prompting Youngeun to grab his hand. The moment she interlocked their fingers, the shooting feeling covered the bottom of his hand--exactly where Youngeun's skin made contact with his.

"What is this?" Youngeun questioned. "Do you have poison ivy on you or something?"

"No?" Y/n trailed. "At least I don't think so."

"Do you feel the tingly feeling I do? It's like when your leg falls asleep," Youngeun explained.

Y/n nodded, "I do."

Jihoon turned to Yujin, gaining the puppy's attention. Despite her best effort to hide that she knew, the former caught on. He blinked in disbelief, shaking his head.

"I guess we hit the jackpot," Jihoon muttered.

Neither of the bystanders had a direct explanation for Y/n and Youngeun's situation, but they had enough to come to their own conclusions. From the corner of their vision, Y/n, Yujin, and Jihoon watched a student approach the group. The student stopped before Y/n and Youngeun, pointing toward the fox.