Light my cigarette

The fic is back >:)  But updates may be slower cause I'm also working on The Grave Below The Flowers, but I finish what I start, like always.

Gregory's POV: "And if we meet at lunch tomorrow, we can get most of this finished."

I looked up from the project to see if Melanie would say something, but per usual, she didn't show the slightest of interest and fiddled with Zoie's hair. "Melanie, do you want to pass this class or not?".

She didn't bother answering and turned their back to me.

Of course.

"Melanie, normally I wouldn't say anything if this was your grade. If you want to fail, you could have gone ahead and done it. But if you don't do your part, I fail. Do you get that?".

She still wasn't saying anything.

I let out a long and dragged out sigh and rattled my fingers around for some coins, "You want a snack? I heard some people can't work on an empty stomach...". They better work after this.

She nodded her head and got up, leaving Zoie lying on her side. I clenched my fist, seeing her stare up at me, and I opened the dorm door for Melanie to walk out. She walked out with me, holding something in her pocket.

We made it to the vending machine. Okay, what snacks does she like? They like just about every food, never saw Melanie be picky...

Melanie walked up to the glass cover to the vending machine and pointed to the fruit snacks.

Oh, that was easy.

I inserted the coins into the vending machine and pushed the buttons to get Melanie's snack and mine. I watched my snack come out the vending machine, but Melanie's was yet to come.

I started eating my snack while Melanie stood there waiting for her snack, but by the time it was finally falling, it got stuck.

"Damnit!" Melanie shouted, not wasting a moment to throw herself on her knees and digging her arm in the slot. It looked like her arm was gonna get cut off if she went deeper. Eventually, they gave up and got their arm out, but they weren't finished.

Melanie summoned her strength from fighting this year and violently shook the vending machine, east west north south, you name it. I took a step back to let her get her snack, but the more frustrated she got that her snack wasn't coming out the more violent and chaotic they shook "Melanie, I can help you-".

Before I even finished speaking, Melanie's fingers slipped, and the vending machine started tipping forward, just when Melanie's snack slipped out. Melanie was able to make a quick save for her snack before the vending machine fell before us.

"Hey! You kids are in big trouble!" A raspy voice belonging to one of the staff members at this school screamed, speed walking towards us looking like she was on drugs based on how mad she was.

The scene screamed a nasty fine, but Melanie wasn't gonna take the fall, and she was making a run for it.

There is no way they are leaving me to take the fall for this... Just like that, I was sprinting behind Melanie. "Melanie, what the hell?!"I tried shouting at her from behind, but she just kept running.

I got so focused on chasing Melanie and losing that lady. Melanie was sliding their upper body against the entrance door of the school, and she rolled on her back once it opened, I suffered the latter as well.

Melanie slammed into the pavement path that led people into the school, and I got the lucky route of landing in the grass, Melanie groaned while rubbing their sore arm and didn't bother helping me up.