Trick or Treat

Weeks passed quickly, as they always did at Hogwarts. Halloween had come in what felt like matter of days. The whole castle was decorated for the occasion, part of his detention earlier that week had been helping Hagrid moving his large pumpkins up to The Great Hall. He'd never been as close to Hagrid as Harry and his friends, but he did enjoy his classes. He listened to him talk about the incident with Buckbeak and Draco.. he apologised on behalf of his cousin, that was probably why Draco couldn't make the quidditch game. What an idiot.

Tonight however, he'd served his detention with Snape again, this time he was helping with a potion he'd written himself. It was one he'd taken to Lupin and Snape a week ago and after studying the recipe the Potions Master had agreed to help him try it. The purpose of the potion was to help Lupin in his recovery after a full moon.

It was getting late when they finally decided to call it a day, it definitely needed tweaking a little, but it was not far from being perfected.

"I believe we need to experiment with letting it breathe, sometimes potions need a little longer to brew." Snape said, patting the boy on the back.

It was strange to think that either of them now rather enjoyed the time they spent together. Now, it may not have been either of their favourite things to do, but neither party seemed to hate the idea anymore. They'd built a ground of trust with one another, and in turn mutual respect.

"I was thinking it may need to be left in sunlight, it may help ease the initial reaction." Kai mused, jotting down notes in his book, he had a few other recipes inside, but he wasn't ready to show them just yet.

"Perhaps. Come back tomorrow, we will test a few different alternatives over the next week. For now, go enjoy your Halloween feast." Snape hummed, tidying away their mess. "And, Mr Black.." he paused, looking up at the boy for a moment, "Well done, if this works it will be a huge achievement."

Kai smiled as he packed up his things, he was about to leave the classroom when the professor called him, turning to look back at Snape expectantly. He nearly fell over hearing the Professor giving him high praise, catching himself on one of the desks, "I- Ergh, thanks Professor.. Couldn't have done it without you though."

"Obviously." Snape drew out the word, a small tug on his lips as if he were about to smile. "Go join your friends, and do keep them out of trouble."

With that Kai left the classroom, the feast had already started but only just. He made his way through the empty corridors, towards the hall. It was normal for the portraits to talk to one another, but they were whispering.. They were panicking.

"Is she alright?"

"Is it true?"

"Is it the work of Sirius Black?"

"That's what she said?"

Kai stopped dead in his tracks, turning to the paintings, "Where? Who?" he asked hurriedly.

"The Fat Lady, at Gryffindor Tower." One replied.

He bolted it towards the tower, skidding round as he saw the tail of a black dog run towards the exit.

"Wait!" he called after it, still running through the castle, and tumbling out into the grounds. "Dad!" he whispered loudly, not wanting to risk anyone overhearing him. Stepping outside he saw the dog pause, "I-I know its you, Lupin told me your animagus was a black dog. I can't stay right now.. But, everyone is going to Hogsmeade this weekend. I can meet you near the Shrieking Shack.. Please? I'll be there Saturday morning just before eight am." Looking back over his shoulder he sighed, "I've got to go, if I'm gone too long people will think I had something to do with this.. Meet me there. If you can."