#O1 ☆ Spice

The birds chirped at dawn. The sun itself hadn't even dared to rise yet, but Gaolang was already awake. He put his suit on, getting ready for his daily duty. He closed his door, leaving his room within the palace.

The guards on night shift soon clocked out, letting the day shift team take over. One of Gaolang's early responsibilities was to respond to any morning calls made by the ruler of Thailand. Though, the morning felt oddly quiet. His phone hadn't rung a single time since he began working. Usually Rama XIII would be texting Gaolang, sending him 'good morning' stickers. He stared at his phone. Suddenly, a familiar voice called for him over by the entrance doors where he stood. Alas, the mystery had been solved.

"Gaolang!" Rama XIII waved his arm around. Gaolang walked over to meet the playful king halfway.
"Your highness." Gaolang spoke. Suddenly, something stood behind the king had caught his eye. As he tried to peep over, Rama XII noticed this attempt.

With a grin, the king stepped aside to reveal a (H/C) haired woman in a long doctor's coat. She had eyebags that hung under her (E/C) eyes. Her lips were half parted as she stared out one of the palace's windows, shining fresh morning sunlight on her (S/C) skin.

"Gaolang." Rama spoke.
"Your highness?" He replied, snapped out of the trance he was shortly put into.
"This is the new head of the daytime medical branch, Y/N. She will also be your personal doctor. Take care of her." The king said.

Gaolang looked back at the woman. Y/N wasn't smiling. She merely nodded her head, hands in her coat's pockets.

"Your highness, I appreciate your generosity but-"
"The decision is final, Gaolang." Rama interrupted. Gaolang kept his usual expression as he nodded and bowed. The king smiled.

"Now, I need to use the restroom. Kindly show her the way to the clinic." Rama said, leaving with a waving hand. The two responded with their goodbyes as well.

Gaolang spoke up after a short silence between the two alone together.
"Please follow me. And do keep in mind the directions to the clinic." He said. You nodded, keeping up behind him as he began to walk ahead.

It was a quiet walk to the clinic. Though while you passed through the halls, you could feel some of the palace guards stealing a glance of you. It was an uncomfortable feeling that you were familiar with, but still haven't gotten used to.

You arrived inside a white medical room that was now to be called yours. All of your hard work to make it to the top of Thailand's doctors...maybe it had finally paid off?

You were informed by the king that your assistant nurses would only be there when the clinic was active and busy. In the meanwhile, you would be on your own on casual days to accept walk-in patients.

Gaolang had already left you to get on with his own duties long ago. The silence in the fairly large room felt oddly comforting yet deafening at the same time. The walls were white, there was an airconditioner and a big ceiling fan and in one of the rooms there stood your desk, shelves, a mini fridge, and more equipment.

A sigh escaped your mouth. You realized you hadn't eaten breakfast yet, and you were starting to feel overwhelmed with this sudden change. Turning around, you walked out of the room. The door creaked as it closed.

You walked through the halls that had big windows. Rays of sunlight peeped through them.

You had made your way to the cafeteria, having remembered where it was after you passed by.

Your phone rang. Taking it out of your pocket, you saw it was the king. Clicking the green telephone icon, you accepted the call.

"Y/N, we're here." Rama said through the phone. Confused, you lifted your head and looked around. He and Gaolang were waving at you.

"Yes, your highness." You replied. He hung up the call as you began to approach them. You bowed at his presence.

"Have you had your breakfast yet?" He asked, his upturned and sharp eyes waiting for a response. "Not yet, Your highness." You replied. He smiled.

"Gaolang, have your meal with her. I have a short meeting with some newer recruits, including your buddy." Rama said, placing a shoulder on Gaolang.

"Might I accompany you, Your majesty?" He replied. Rama shook his head.
"There is no need to. Please try to get along with Y/N since she's your personal doctor now." He said before leaving.

You looked back at the tall and muscular man towering in front of you. His gaze was averted, looking away.

"Let's go buy breakfast." You said, walking ahead to get food. He felt obligated to follow you despite his worries that your preferences in food would differ.

You two stopped at a stall. You turned around, looking straight at him for the first time. His unchanging expression stared back at you.

"Do you...like gaopao rice?" You asked him. For a second, you felt like his demeanor towards you changed, but maybe it was just a misinterpretation on your end.

Gaolang felt his cheeks grow a soft and slightly noticeable red.
"Yes, i'll get three. It's my favorite. And you?" He asked. His face remained stern whilst saying those words, causing him to look odd.

You cracked a smile.
"Me too." You said.

Ordering four, you two decided to eat together at a vacant table. There was no conversing between the two of you, but both of you felt talking just to occupy the silence wasn't necessary.

You were on your phone most of the time while eating your food. You soon raised your head to check on Gaolang, only to be met with him sweating profusely, his lips red and swollen and his eyes tearing up. Yet his emotionless expression still remained.

"Are you okay? You didn't tell me you had any allergies." You hurried over to his side, worried. He tried to speak but only got himself into a coughing fit.

"Can you walk? Lets go to my office. I should have some allergy medicine there." You asked. He nodded, trying to act like he was fine. He got up on his own and rushed with you to the office, almost falling over a few times.

You two arrived. You rushed to open the mini fridge and give him a bottle of water. He gulped it all down in one go. You observed his symptoms.

"I...can't handle spice." Gaolang groaned. A laugh escaped your mouth, but you quickly stopped.

"I'm sorry, this isn't a laughing matter-" You smiled. "-I should have asked if you wanted your food non-spicy." You continued.

Gaolang stared at you.
"I-It's my fault for not telling you beforehand. My apologies." He coughed. You nodded.

After he recovered, he departed from the clinic. The rest of the day was silent to you. There wasn't much work to be done, only paperwork you needed to sort out to soon officialize your occupation at the palace.

Eventually, your time to clock out came and the night shift doctor was to take your place.

You left the large royal building, your shoes clacked against the rocky pavement that led to wide main gates.

You heard one of the gate guards speaking up as you passed.
"Good work." You heard him say. You nodded before replying.
"You as well."

And with that, you stepped out of the palace grounds.