Chapter Five: Adara

Two weeks have passed

The day of the funeral is cloudy and overcast, the sky is a dull grey. Ariel is getting ready to leave the house, putting on her black hoodie and joggers. She's not really thinking about what she's doing, her mind is numb, unable to process the reality of what's happened. She's just going through the motions, putting one foot in front of the other. As she walks out the door, she feels a gentle rain start to fall.

Her parents Mercedes Benz G Class was outside waiting for her. She gets and almost immediately she gets lost in her thoughts, Her mother reaches over and touches her hand. The touch is gentle, but it feels like a jolt to Ariel. She turns to look at her mother, and their eyes meet. There's so much pain and sadness in her mother's eyes, and it's heartbreaking for Ariel to see. Her mother gives her a weak smile, and they sit in silence as the car begins to move down the street.

The drive to the funeral home is long and silent, the only sound was the sound of raindrops hitting the windshield. As they approach the funeral home, the car slows down, and they turn into the parking lot. They pull into a parking spot and turn off the engine. The silence in the car is deafening, and it feels like a weight is pressing down on them.

They get out of the car and start walking towards the funeral home, their footsteps echoing on the pavement. The air is damp and cool, and the rain is still falling lightly. They reach the entrance of the funeral home, and they stop for a moment to take a deep breath. The front door is heavy and imposing, and it feels like a barrier to the grief that awaits them inside.

They push open the door and step inside the foyer of the funeral home. The air is cool and still, and there's a faint smell of flowers and cleaning products. The walls are painted a soothing pale blue, and the floor is covered in plush gray carpet. There's a large desk in the center of the room, and behind the desk is a woman in a black dress. She stands up when she sees them, and she comes around the desk to greet them.

The woman is middle-aged, with graying hair pulled back in a bun. She's wearing a black dress with a white collar, and her face is kind but solemn. She looks at them with sympathy in her eyes, and she extends her hand to Ariel's mother. "Mrs. Harris," she says, her voice soft and gentle. "I'm so sorry for your loss."
Ariel's mother shakes the woman's hand and nods, unable to speak.

The woman gestures to a door on the other side of the foyer. "If you'd like to go into the chapel, it's through that door," she says, her voice soothing. "I'll be here if you need anything."
Ariel's mother nods again, and they walk through the door into the chapel. It's a large, high-ceilinged room with rows of wooden pews. The light is soft and warm, and the air smells of incense and candles. The walls are lined with stained glass windows, depicting scenes from the Bible.

They take a seat in the front row, and they look up at the altar. The altar is simple and unadorned, with a large wooden cross on the wall behind it. The room is quiet and still, and they can hear the rain outside. They sit in silence for a few minutes, each lost in their own thoughts. Then, a man in a black robe enters the room and walks to the altar. He looks at them with compassion in his eyes, and he begins to speak.

Ama and Ana were there,sitting next to Ariel, and holding her hands. Ama had tears in her eyes, and Ana was trying to stay strong for her friend. They had been through so much together, and they know this is only the beginning.
Then, there's Adara's elementary school teacher, Mrs. Tara. She was sitting a few rows behind them, her eyes filled with sorrow. She taught Adara for one year, and she saw her grow from a shy, quiet first grader into a confident, kind young girl.

Mrs. Williams remembers Adara's first day of school, when she was so nervous and scared. She remembers how she held Adara's hand and helped her get settled into the classroom. She remembers Adara's first smile, and how it brightened up the whole room. As the priest continues to speak, Mrs. Williams' mind was filled with memories of Adara.