Chapter 14

It's officially pandemonium. Well, depending on where one falls in regard to government misconduct, it could also be considered overdue justice. Seven Court members have had to resign in the past week, followed by three junior assistants to the Minister, several Aurors and Hit Wizards, and a Department of Mysteries Unspeakable.

The revelations are staggering from top to bottom: a massive case of pension fraud, misappropriation of Ministry funds, and even an international scandal involving an extramarital affair under the guise of undercover DMLE investigations.

The press have blown wide holes in Lance's ship and the sinking is looking swift and brutal. It's clear now he's lost control of many of his associates, if he ever had control in the first place. The papers seem to be attributing these missteps to incompetence rather than a natural consequence of cronyism, but Hermione will take what she can get. She sips her morning tea as she gleefully reads through the front page of the Prophet. The coverage continues onto five more pages.

A knock sounds at her door. "Come in!" she calls and her boss enters, a dour expression on his face. And he's not alone.

"Good morning, Mr. Lawson. Mr. Rochet, this is a surprise."

"Morning, dear, might we steal a moment of your time?" says Rochet and Hermione suppresses a cringe.

"How can I help you gentleman?"

They exchange a grave look then sit in the chairs opposite her desk. Lawson sighs and shifts back in his seat, then casts a guilty look at Rochet. "Hermione, we've come to discuss some rather troubling reports."

Hermione says nothing. They give her a beat to reply, but still she stays silent, letting them get to what she suspects will be a rather impertinent point of a visit.

"I'm sure you've kept up with the news," Rochet says and gestures to the folded Prophet on her desk. "Difficult times for the Ministry right now. Most unsettling."

She waits them out again, a placid smile on her face.

"Right," Rochet clears his throat. "Well, we thought it would be in everyone's best interest to have a little informal chat. See if we can't all find some common ground."

If Hermione has learned anything from Draco and how he conducts his trade negotiations, she knows she already has the upper hand here. They've come to appeal to her kindness, her softer, sympathetic side.

They don't know her at all, then.

"Hermione, do you believe in the mission of the Ministry? In the work we do here?" asks Lawson.

"I believe it is the government's job to act in the best interest of the people it serves," says Hermione.

"Yes, of course," says Rochet. "But can a government do its job if it does not have the trust and faith of its people?"

"I suppose not," drawls Hermione. "Good thing we have mechanisms in place for removing those unfit for civil service."

Rochet purses his lips, and a flush creeps up Lawson's neck.

"Instability leaves us vulnerable," argues Rochet. "Surely you of all people would agree? The recent sudden...shifts in personnel, the influx of new, younger Court members...it's all rather concerning, is it not?"

Hermione sits back in her chair with a polite frown.

"Vulnerable how? Forgive me, gentleman, but it sounds as if you object to the idea of rooting out corruption and making room for more progressive people and ideas. Is that what I'm hearing?"