Story One: An Introduction

It was a cool, sunny day on Sodor, sometime in the year 1883. The coffeepot engines of the Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Railway were huffing and puffing down their little line, working as hard as they could. They were all called to the four road shed at Elsbridge that morning, wondering what was going on. "I bet it's a new engine!" Said Hartwell. "Oh, don't be silly Hartwell, we've already got enough engines around here." Replied a drowsy Beatrice. Just then, the sound of footsteps on ballast was heard, and a voice cleared it's throat. "Hello, engines. I'm sure you're all wondering why I called you here." The manager, Nigel Princely began. "It's because, I have a new engine that was built by Mr. Hatt. His name is Stone, and he's going to be fitted with tram plates in order to run the new line to Anopha Quarry." He said, as a whistle was heard, and a new coffeepot engine rolled up alongside the shed. "Hello, everyone! I'm Stone. I'm sure manager already told you, though." He said, as the manager walked towards his office. "Great, it is another new engine. Like we need another one crowding the line." Beatrice grumbled. "Oh, don't mind her, Stone! I'm Glynn, the number one engine. I'll help show you the ropes." Glynn said, with a friendly smile. "I think I can handle it, Glynn." Stone replied, as he puffed down the line towards the Quarry. "He won't be running for very long with an attitude like that." Said Charleston, beginning to puff towards the morning milk train. "Indeed, let's see how this turns out for the lad." Hartwell replied. Glynn sighed, and coupled up to his coaches. Once the guard blew his whistle, Glynn started down the line. He stopped at Maithwaitte, and saw Charleston waiting in the siding by the station. "What's got you held up, Charleston?" Glynn asked, a bit confused. "Just see for yourself." Charleston shot back, angrily. Up ahead was Stone, an angry bull in front of him. "Move, you stupid thing!" He shouted, and blew his whistle. This seemed to make the bull mad, as it kicked him square in the chin and ran off. Stone reversed into the station, saying nothing. Charleston sat in the siding, laughing hysterically. Glynn held his composure, and looked at Stone. "Are you alright, lad? That looked like a nasty kick." Glynn asked, in a sympathetic tone. "Shut your trap and get moving with your train!" Stone replied, angrily, as one of his teeth fell out. Glynn continued on down the line to Ffarquhar, and got to work shunting his coaches in a siding. He saw Stone speed through, looking just as mad as he did at Maithwaitte. Around 30 minutes later, Glynn was getting ready to leave the yard, when a shrill whistle came from the line to Anopha Quarry. Stone was rushing down the line, screaming madly. "Help me, help me! I can't get them to stop!" He cried, as he rocketed past Ffarquhar, and a confused Glynn. The "them" that Stone was referring to was his line of angry stone trucks that pushed him faster and faster down the line. Glynn followed after the train, and rushed to couple up to Stone's brakevan. The guard coupled him to the train, and Glynn threw on his brakes, as Stone was beginning to tilt off a curve. Luckily, he didn't topple over. Glynn pushed the train the rest of the way to Elsbridge, where the manager stood on the platform, looking angry. "Stone! You nearly cost us a lot of money today, if Glynn hadn't have saved you, we'd have had to leave you on the side of the tracks!" The manager hissed. "I'm sorry, Sir. I shouldn't have been so reckless. Glynn and the others really did try to teach me, but I was too overconfident and egotistical to listen. It won't happen again." Stone replied, solemnly. "It better not!" The manager said back, his tone a bit more sympathetic. He then turned to Glynn. "You can get a new coat of paint tonight, Glynn." He said, and walked away. "I'm sorry I didn't listen to your advice, Glynn. Can we be friends?" Stone asked, quietly. "Of course, just don't be so reckless from now on." Glynn replied, with a smile.