Story Four: Over The Edge

The year was now 1891, and the TK&ER was thriving as always. They were constructing a line to the Mid Sodor Railway's gold mine at Ulfstead, and were in the process of building a large viaduct over one of the rivers near the mine. It was about halfway finished, but another six months would be needed before it would finally be finished. Beatrice was working with Stone to build the viaduct, and it was not going well for Beatrice. Stone puffed up one day, in his usual mood. "I tell you, that farmer near Hackenback needs to keep his livestock in order! Another one of his bulls got out on the line! We can't work with bulls constantly on the rails!" He tuned, looking at Beatrice. "You sure you aren't biased towards Farmer Hershel? You did get kicked by one of his bulls on your first day." Beatrice teased, which was met with an angry glare from Stone. Beatrice only chuckled. A workman came up to her. "We need more stone, can you head up to Anopha? We need some more stone for the bridge." He asked. "No, Stone can do it. He's the quarry engine, after all." She huffed, rolling her eyes. "Too bad, we need him here." The workman replied, a bit ticked off. Beatrice rolled her eyes, and began to head up the line. She grumbled to herself all the while, until she stopped at Hackenback. Glynn was there, resting in the small shed there. "What are you doing laying about, Glynn?" Beatrice asked, waking Glynn. "I broke down. I was supposed to take a train of stone from Anopha down to Elsbridge, but I guess it'll be late now." Glynn responded, a tired look on his face. "Nonsense, I'll take it for you!" Beatrice responded, eagerly. "Thank you, Beatrice. That's very kind of you." Glynn said, thankfully. Beatrice smirked to herself, proudly. When she made it to Anopha, Charleston was shunting together her train. "Charleston, could you add Glynn's trucks to my train? He's letting me take them on account of his illness." Beatrice boasted. "Are you sure you can handle it, Beatrice? No offense, but you don't exactly have the greatest brakes in the world." Charleston said, skeptical of Beatrice's confidence. "Pah, I'm strong enough!" She said, offended that Charleston would challenge her. "Alright, if you say so." Charleston replied, begrudgingly shunting Glynn's train to hers. She was quickly out of the quarry, and speeding down the line, having a grand time. Until, she got to the hill descending to Ffarquhar. The trucks pushed against her, making Beatrice gain speed. She tried to brake, but it was in vain. She shot through Ffarquhar, nearly crashing into Hartwell pulling into a siding with some coaches. She rocketed down the line, past a shocked and bewildered Glynn at Hackenback. She sped through Maithwaitte and Elsbridge, and began to head down the line to Ulfstead, gradually gaining control. Stone was up ahead, and saw the commotion. He raced forward, buffering up to Beatrice, and braked hard. "Come on, Beatrice, brake!" She shouted, through gritted teeth. "I'm trying!" She shouted back, frantically. They both shut their eyes. Stone felt his rear wheels leave the rails, and then they stopped. Stone was left dangling precariously off the edge of the viaduct. "Help me, you idiot!" He said to Beatrice, in a panicked voice as she pulled him to safety. "What were you thinking, Beatrice?" Boomed a voice the two coffeepots recognized as the manager. "I was taking Glynn's train for him, Sir." Beatrice responded, meekly. "Well, Charleston was going to take his train after he shunted your train to bring here!" The manager said, and took a deep breath. "Just leave your trucks here. Stone, can you take Glynn's trucks back up to Elsbridge?" The manager said, trying to maintain his composure. "Right away, Sir." Stone said, as he ran around to the back of the train, and took away Glynn's trucks. "I will talk to you at the sheds tonight, Beatrice." The manager said, and left. Beatrice said nothing, and looked down in shame.