Story Ten: Departures

The rail merger was happening in a few weeks. The manager walked up to the shed, solemnly. "Alright engines. We've had a long run together, and you all are like family to me. But, I can't save all of you." The manager said, crying. "I can only save two of you, the other two will be gifted to the NWR. I've heard they MAY save you, but I doubt it. You lot are pretty old." He said, looking hopeful. "Who's going to the Vicarstown Railway Museum, Sir?" Charleston asked. "Well, Charleston. The Museum has taken an interest in Stone, for his tram plates and him being newer, and Beatrice. I don't know why they picked her, but they've taken a keen interest in her." The manager said. "I've heard some other railways are selling engines there as well." He added. "How will we get there, Sir?" Stone asked. "You'll go down the mainline, being pulled by an engine to escort you." The manager replied, going to his office. After he left, the engines cried for a few hours. They didn't want to leave each other, they were family. But, it had to be done. The next day, a blue tank engine arrived at Elsbridge, with no number. "Which engines are the ones I'm supposed to be taking?" He asked, eagerly. Stone and Beatrice puffed over. They started down the mainline together. "I've never seen engines like you, what are you names?" The engine said, awestruck. "We're coffeepots. I'm Beatrice, and the engine with tram plates is Stone." Beatrice replied, chuckling a bit. "What class are you? I've never seen an engine like you." Stone asked, eyeing the engine suspiciously. "Oh, I was loosely based off of an E2! From the... LBSCR, I think. I'm named Timothy, by the way! I have a brother named Thomas, he was supposed to take you, but he didn't want to come up here. He said it wasn't "his kind of line", whatever that means." Timothy said. "Interesting." Beatrice said. "You know, there's an E2 in the Railway Museum? You'll see her. She's very friendly!" Timothy said, energetically. "Do you know what other engines are there?" Stone asked. "Oh, some box tanks, a few tender engines, a tank engine. I'm sure they're all going to be pleased to meet you! You'll all be like a family!" Timothy replied, not noticing Beatrice and Stone slightly upset after the mention of family. They all could see Vicarstown coming into sight, amazed by the scale of the city. Beatrice and Stone hoped things would go well for them, and the little engine.