Chapter 6: The City of Ruins

Ellie POV:

Three Years Ago:

I sat there, strumming my guitar back and forth, gradually getting the hang of it. It was such a peaceful day, and I was eagerly anticipating the surprise Y/N had planned for my birthday. I decided to put the guitar over my back, securing it with the strap, as I noticed Y/N approaching on a boat.

"Hey, come on," Y/N gestured, urging me to join him.

"No way," I responded, shaking my head adamantly. "I am absolutely not getting in a boat," I refused, crossing my arms stubbornly.

Undeterred, Y/N walked up to me and planted a sweet kiss on my cheek. "Let's go," he urged with a smile, and I couldn't resist his charm. Reluctantly, I gave in and climbed into the boat, taking my seat as Y/N powered up the generator. The boat roared to life, propelling us forward towards a tiny speck of an island.

As we sailed away, my eyes were fixated on the water. It had a certain beauty to it, despite the slight contamination. But none of that mattered because I was with Y/N, my incredibly adorable boyfriend. If this was my surprise, it had better be a good one.

Y/N reached for the boat's CB radio, a mischievous smile playing on his face. "Calling old man Joelle," he joked, his voice light-hearted.

Joel's gruff voice crackled through the radio. "What have I said about calling me that?" he grumbled, sounding slightly annoyed.

Y/N chuckled, clearly enjoying teasing his friend. "Oh, come on, Joelle. It's a beautiful day outside. Get out of bed."

"Y/N, I swear I'll come find you and kick your ass," Joel replied, though his voice betrayed a hint of laughter.

Y/N's smile widened. "Better not be late for your patrol, or Maria will scold you," he warned playfully, ending the transmission. He then turned to meet my gaze. "It's truly a stunning day," he commented.

Blushing at his compliment, I looked away and refocused my attention on the water. I lightly grazed my finger along the surface, feeling its warmth. Y/N navigated the boat to a nearby dock and secured it with a tied rope.

As I prepared to disembark from the boat, Y/N surprised me by swiftly blindfolding my eyes. "Woah, I can't see," I exclaimed, feeling a mixture of confusion and excitement.

Y/N giggled mischievously. "That's the point," he replied, guiding me carefully onto the dock. He placed a supportive hand on the back of my shoulder. "Three... Two... One..." he counted down.

With a gentle touch, Y/N removed the blindfold, and my breath caught in my throat as I took in the sight before me. There stood a charming little cabin house, nestled in its serene surroundings. I gasped in awe, marvelling at its beauty and the effort Y/N had put into this birthday surprise.

I clasped my hands together, my voice filled with astonishment as I asked, "What... is this?"

Y/N tossed a key into my trembling hands. "This place belonged to my grandfather," he explained, a hint of nostalgia in his voice. "He built it, and it has been passed down through generations. After everything fell apart, my parents sought refuge here before establishing their own settlement."

He continued, his eyes filled with affection. "Cassandra decided to gift me the keys, and I thought surprising you with this would be the most meaningful gift I could give."

Overwhelmed with emotion, I grabbed Y/N's shirt, pulling him close for a passionate kiss. It was a moment filled with longing and desire, and I couldn't resist taking the lead. "I want to explore the bedroom," I whispered, my voice laced with lust. Taking Y/N's hand, I guided him towards the bedroom, eager to celebrate my birthday in this incredible place.