𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐆𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒

10 hours... which equates to 600 minutes or 3600 seconds and I am not a damn bit closer to figuring out what the hell hydra have done. Well that's if they have done something. I was beginning to doubt myself and was losing all hope until I spot some equipment, right at the back of the warehouse hidden under a large plastic liner.

I'm hesitant at first but I know something isn't right, I think if anything I was scared of the answers I might find. Grabbing the liner I give a good yank to pull it from the equipment. It looks like some sort of capsule. It was big enough to fit an average sized person in, but not big enough for much manoeuvre once you're inside. It looks to be completely made from metal, only having a small glass hatch at someone's eye level. Struggling I manage to break the lock, I don't know if hydra put it there or S.H.I.E.L.D.

I've seen this sort of thing before...

I couldn't put my finger on it but I recognised this. Like I've seen it before...experienced it before. When I finally get the capsule open I can see the outline shape of a body engraved into it, along with several restraints which would be around the arms, legs and chest. It then hits me like a ton of bricks. I remembered.

***

September 9th 1968, Hydra Research Base, Sokovia -

I'd been with hydra for a while now, that's all I knew. After I was taken on my birthday in 1958 they locked me away, frozen in time. All I knew was that I had been moved to their research base in Sokovia and I must be of some use to them as they had freed me from the ice. It didn't take me long to realise but the more value I presented the longer I would stay out of the ice.

"It's time y/l/n." I feel a shiver run down my spine as one of the agents grabs me by the arm and starts escorting me down the passageway to one of the labs.

Entering the lab, the large flood lights switch on, illuminating the place. It was very old and dingy, equipment laying about everywhere.

"What is this place?" I ask, feeling like it would maybe be better if I was still frozen in ice.

"This is your ticket to stay out of your box." Schmidt's voice bellows from behind. I turn and look up to see him leaning over the railings. I try not to show any emotion as I meet his gaze, deep down I knew whatever they had planned would be a mistake but I couldn't face being shoved back in that box and frozen again. It's not like I felt anything when I was frozen, it was an abyss of nothing, I would rather be dead than be locked up like that again.

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes trying to settle my nerves. "What is it that you need me to do?" My voice shakes as I speak, he knew I was scared of what was to come, but he also knew how desperate I was too.

"You are going to help us revolutionise hydra." Schmidt stands proud, an evil grin coming over his face.

"And if I don't?" I push my fear aside and show him I will not just roll over and help.

"Oh but you will my dear... you will."

I didn't push any further, I wasn't going to risk my freedom.

Schmidt slowly makes his way down the stairs and begins leading us all further into the lab, we walk past large parts of equipment that has been covered by sheets, I'm curious to see what it is that they are hiding. He finally stops when we get to a large metal capsule shaped thing, it looks very similar to what I had been locked up and frozen in, but I knew it was different.

"What is this?" I ask my curiosity getting the better of me as I walk closer to it, the guards allowing me to.

"I'm glad you asked. This is your project."

"My project?" I furrow my brow confused.

"Yes, you are going to fix this, then once you have done that we can start revolutionising hydra, making us unstoppable."

I take a shaky breath, I want to argue but  I know it's no use, I can't be locked away again for god knows how long. "What do you need me to do?"

"This machine has the capability of replicating actual living beings and all their abilities. Just imagine what we could do with all those super soldiers we will have."

"W-what do you mean?" I don't understand how I can be of help, yes I'm a super soldier but surely they don't mean...

"You want to replicate me?" Schmidt laughs at my realisation, but there is tone of mocking in his laugh, which just confuses me further.

"Not you my dear, as much as your abilities are to be desired... we cannot risk them having their mentality."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I get defensive at his last remark, he chuckles and shakes his head.

"You've always been a feisty one haven't you, that's what I like about you. But I can't risk my army being rebellious against me. You will help by first mending this machine and then setting an example to my army."

"How will I set an example if you don't want them to be like me?"

"Easy... I will show them what will happen if they disobey." I feel a shiver run down my spine at his threat. "Now you best get to work before I decide to shove you back in that box of yours and freeze you for another decade."

Well at least I know how long I've been locked away for... I don't know if I take comfort in that information or not.

"I'll get right to it." I sigh in defeat, there was no way I was letting them lock me away again.

***

Present Day - S.H.I.E.L.D Base: Stark Labs NYC

Staring at the equipment I can feel my heart racing, I only hoped it had been disabled. I remember the damage that was done back in the 1970's with it and what it took to bring hydra down, I'm not sure S.H.I.E.L.D would even be prepared for this fight again. I slowly walk around the capsule, my hand gliding along the side of it.

The memories of it all come flooding back, I grip hard around the edge of it as I look inside and it's still exactly the same as it was over 60 years ago, or so I thought. As far as I was aware there was only ever one of these, I start looking more closely at it but soon realised this isn't the same one.

Which means hydra still have access to this, and could using it as we speak. I think back to Steve who is still sleeping in a coma, no signs of waking when everything point to him being absolutely fine.

There was something linking Steve and this equipment as to why he wasn't waking, I knew I would probably sound crazy but what if the person laying in the avenger's compound medical bay wasn't Steve Rogers?

I needed to get back to the compound... and fast!

★━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━★
a/n: Who doesn't love a flashback? Is y/n really onto something or is she just delusional for hope?

Thanks for everyone who has stuck around whilst I was on hiatus from this story, are we glad to see y/n back? Hoping to continue with updates a little more regular than yearly 😅

ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛᴏ ᴠᴏᴛᴇ & ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ 💗
ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ 3000 ʟᴜᴄʏ xᴏxᴏ