Slowing Down

Hiatus finally over mai dudes.

Edited by: ariatales__

|Part 2: We're Going For A Ride|
|_______________________________|

"While I shine this flashlight in your eye, I want you to follow my finger."

You sigh and do as the nurse tells you. She nods and writes some more on her clipboard. This repetitive checkup has been going on for an hour, which was longer than it was originally supposed to be. The eniripsa would check your heart, question your health, write it down, tap your knee, write it down, and repeat it over again. Fionda leaned against the wall across from your cot, arms crossed as she observed.

"You are nineteen correct?" She asks without looking up from her paper.

"Yes."

"Have you ever had a history of amnesia or blackouts?"

"Again, no."

"Can you please tell me the last thing you can recall?"

For the third time, you said, "Bits and pieces really." After stepping into that portal, you couldn't remember much else. "A bright light, part of a building, I think, and quite a bit of sweating. It was pretty hot, probably."

She still doesn't look up, the little chain connected to her glasses rattling with every tilt of her head. "Did you take any medication or potions within the last 72 hours?"

"No."

"Mhmm. Is it considered normal for your heart to be going under 30 beats per minute?" Finally she makes eye contact with you.

"Yes."

Her brow rises. "You do realize any other person would be at death's door with a heart rate like that, right?"

You nod. "Yes, I am aware."

The nurse writes some more things down. "How unusual. We may need to run some extra tests, possibly some blood samples. Can you please take off your hat?"

Your fingers dig into the bedding at the sound of her request. "My hat?"

"What do you mean by tests?" Fionda asks from her spot.

It was then did the eniripsa realize she was there the entire time. "Oh! Well, I'd have to conduct a hand scan and do some evaluations," she turns to you, "but you can say no if you want to, considering you're technically an adult." You blinked. She blinks back before asking, "What? What is it?"

"Where we're from, the legal age is twenty." The old cra clarifies.

Again, the nurse hums, giving you a forced smile. "Now I get why she was so insistent on coming in. Here in Bonta, the age of adulthood is sixteen, so...congratulations! You've been an adult for three years. Now do you want the tests or not?"

"Hard pass." You answer in a tone similar to hers.

"Fine, take off your hat and I can-",

"Also hard pass."

Her smile stretched. "Look, I just need to do a quick head exam."

"Still no." I prefer Julie over this lady. At least she respected my boundaries. "So you might as well go."

After some more convincing (and some glares from Fionda) the nurse finally leaves in a huff. You don't care how moody she is about it, though, considering the events of last night. You were too drained to care. And hungry. A sandwich would be nice. You leaned back, wishing you were on your brother's couch instead. "How's Habhaï doing?"