One

One

Thorin thought taking back Erebor from Smaug would be the hard part, but he was wrong.

Dead wrong.

He was told by Balin and the small consul who now included his cousin Dain and his sister Dis, that he had to marry and that his nephews, Fili and Kili had to marry as well.

And that there would be suitable suitors coming from other kingdoms and walks of life. Was going to be the hard part. If it were up to him, he would rule alone, and then when Fili, his oldest nephew was of age and ready to rule he would step down and live the rest of his life in a quiet peace that he hadn't since the kingdom had been sacked and taken over.

"It's not all a bad thing Thorin." Bilbo Baggins, one of the members of his company, commented as he took a seat at the table, that he and the rest of the company had come into the Great Hall after Thorin in a fit of rage threw all consul members except for his sister and cousin out.

And the burglar went right into clean-up mode, "You want the Durin line to continue on past the boys right?" His blue eyes found Fili and Kili who were sitting next to each other bickering over a prank gone wrong.

As much warriors as the boys were they were still just that.

Boys.

They almost lost their lives taking back the kingdom and deserved to live a little bit and throwing a marriage into this was going to throw them right into being Thorin's heirs and not being able to actually enjoy life.

"I do." Thorin finally spoke, he had been quiet for so long that Bilbo didn't think he was going to say anything, "But I don't agree with this. Many kings have ruled without a consort."

"Not all kings are hot-headed like you brother.' Dis commented, "This will help level things out for us and for Dale."

Dale was the neighboring kingdom that had suffered through a famine that almost wiped out the whole kingdom followed by a depression that was finally letting up after 20+ years.

"If not, it will be entraining." Dwalin laughed, he loved watching his long-time friend squirm and get uncomfortable and this was a prime example of it.

Bilbo dropped his head into his hands with a groan, this was going to be a huge nightmare, he knew Thorin's temper, and he knew Dwalin's temper.

At the first sign of insult, they would fight. And that was the last thing they needed.

It was bad enough that Thorin had almost started another war with the King of the Woodlands who was not too far from where Erebor was located due to insults and past hatred. It had taken all of his patience and care to fix the whole situation before it got any worse.

"Don't worry Bilbo." Dis muttered, " We will make sure that no more wars get started. At least not until we are back on our feet and good to go."

And that was what Bilbo was afraid of.