52: With Wings Cut Off

The distant rumbling from inside Seirai Island never seemed to cease even for a second. This was different from contemplating in the silence of her office, but Kokomi could not be choosy with her circumstances.

"It's been two days since we've declared a skirmish against Soleil's forces," she said thoughtfully, "How long do you think Narukami Island would hear about this?"

Gorou thinned his lips in contemplation. "I can only imagine two ways they would: first is if they somehow find themselves in this location and saw everything. The other is if either one of us requested for reinforcements and they were seen by the mainland," he replied. He looked at Kokomi.

"Why do you ask, Your Excellency?" he asked. Kokomi shook her head, "It's nothing."

A plan harnessed in her head as she looked at the reports and maps on her table. "Narukami isn't a problem," she said, "It's the Fatui we should be warier of."

"We should hinder any attempt by outside forces to back up the Fatui," Gorou suggested. "We should," Kokomi nodded, tapping her finger against her armrest in thoughtful rhythm.

"Your Excellency! General Gorou!" A captain garbed in the red Watatsumi uniform saluted at them.

"Captain of Swordfish I," Gorou nodded in acknowledgement, "Is there anything to report?"

"Good news, madam and sir. The Fatui are now engaging with the decoy camps we have set up in Tsurumi Island. My men have their eyes on them as we speak," the captain reported.

"Splendid," Kokomi smiled pleasantly, "What of the teams assigned to their main camp?"

"That's...well, they were unable to act. The night they planned to attack, they mentioned that the Fatui camps were already desserted. They must have relocated elsewhere," the captain said.

"Perhaps to take advantage of Tsurumi's terrain?" Gorou wondered. "This might work to our advantage. We have already sent a team long before to map out Tsurumi, so we know better than them," Kokomi said, "Now, we just need to force them deeper into the island. That should give them the illusion of covering more ground."

"Understood. Give your command, Your Excellency," Gorou stated firmly. "To force them in, we have to cut off all their possible entrances and exits," Kokomi said and gestured to the shores on her map.

"Our scouts reported that the Fatui ships lie in the north prior to their retreat into Tsurumi. Take two teams and burn those ships down," she said seriously, "We have to do so quickly while their forces are occupied with taking down our decoy camps."

"That will prevent them from escaping, yes. But that doesn't guarantee they won't receive outside help," Gorou frowned, "Even if they don't have anything to do with your goals or Soleil's, they won't give up opportunities to weaken Watatsumi."

"And that's understandable, given the building alliance between Narukami and Watatsumi. But fear not, Gorou," Kokomi smiled calmly, "The Fatui receiving reinforcements may work to our advantage if done right."

The captain stared hesitantly. "Your Excellency, forgive my lack of insight, but why do you think so?" he asked, "We aren't too abundant with manpower, either, so I cannot fathom how that will be any advantage at all."

"I understand. However, do keep in mind that it isn't the Fatui that we're here to guard Seirai Island from," Kokomi said, "And I do admit, we're hardly capable of fighting against the Fatui. We're here to stall for time."

"However..." Kokomi looked at the map with a glimmer in her gradient eyes, "Just as the Fatui has the Eleventh Harbinger, so, too, do we have someone to manage the bloodier side of war."