54: Eyes From Outside

"My lady? Your tea has gotten cold."

Ayaka could hear Thoma's voice, but she hardly made sense of his words in the middle of her thinking. She was staring out the windows when Thoma walked in on her, clasping something in her hands absentmindedly.

"My lady? Miladyyyy," Thoma called. Ayaka blinked and turned to him in surprise, "Oh... Sorry, Thoma. Were you saying something?"

Thoma sighed. It wasn't long when he also walked in on Ayato staring blankly at his desk. What's with these two siblings?

"Nevermind, milady. Is there something on your mind?" Thoma asked worryingly.

Ayaka watched softly as Thoma cleaned up her table. "I was just wondering about...something," she said and looked at Thoma curiously, "Have you ever received word about Soleil?"

Thoma blinked, then placed Ayaka's teacup on his tray. "No... Now that I think about it, it's been weeks since she last came over," he said.

Ayaka sighed. "I thought so," she whispered and looked out the window. The both of them fell silent.

"Why do you ask?" Thoma asked. A wistful glimmer colored Ayaka's silver blue eyes.

"It's been long since Soleil left Narukami, and she never visited once. How am I to know she is doing well?" Ayaka said.

Thoma said nothing, unable to find an appropriate response. Ayaka looked at him.

"Have you seen my brother, Thoma?" she asked. "Yes, milady. Just a few hours earlier, in fact," Thoma replied, "He looked just like you, you know?"

"Worried?" Ayaka asked. "...Yes," Thoma said quietly. Ayaka smiled sadly and looked away.

"I overheard his men reporting to him earlier...just before sunrise," Ayaka muttered. Thoma's eyes widened in surprise.

"I...I know it's unbecoming of me to eavesdrop. But I just couldn't help it. They were talking about Soleil...How they were unable to find her," Ayaka's fist clenched and she bowed her head, "They said she was in the company of the Fatui."

Ayaka laughed lightly despite the gloss in her eyes. She turned to Thoma with a smile, "Brother knows something... doesn't he?"

"...I'm sorry, milady. I don't know, either," Thoma apologized quietly, "He rarely opens up about the matter especially after what happened when you were younger."

Ayaka said nothing and looked out the window. The knitted gloves in her hands were squeezed in her attempt to calm down.

"And he still refuses to confide in me," Ayaka sighed sadly and closed her eyes. Nonetheless, I pray that your worries will soon cease, dear brother.

"Ugh... What a circus. I disappear for vacation only to come back hearing you started a war. Tsk."

"Hey, this isn't my fault! No matter what they say, none of this was under my control."

"Whatever. What's done is done. Complaining won't do us any good. I just hope you know how to get out of this mess," Luna said to Soleil over a call.

Soleil's pocket watch was atop a work table. The scholar herself was tinkering with a few gadgets, assorted tools in both her hands as she spoke to the watch.

"I know what to do. I'm simply thinking of ways to take advantage of the situation. We both know there are other things crawling beneath the carpet," Soleil said meaningfully.

"And I'm guessing those 'other things' are about to become my business, too," Luna grumbled. "Ehe," Soleil smiled apologetically.

The investigator was irked. Ehe, my ass. What 'ehe'?!