Chapter II

It was a soft morning when the sun started to peek at the window of a wide awake young girl. Willow was laying down on her bed, quietly staring outside her window, trying to glance at the gardens of the houses, where flowers and plants grew, planted by herself and her mom .. When a beam of light finally planted itself on her face, she scrunched up her face and decided to sit up, looking right in front of her.

She was stressed, scared, she was a little girl about to be reaped.

A soft knock on her door, Willow turned towards it to see her mother pass her head through the gap and softly smiled at her.

« Good morning sweetie, you need to get prepared »

Smiling a little, she young girl got up from her bed and approached her mom, giving her a soft kiss on her cheek, she whispered a good morning too before going towards the bathroom to clean up quickly, scrubbing and washing off the dirt. Once satisfied with the result, she wrapped her towel around her body and headed towards her bedroom to see her dress layed down on her bed, her mom must've get the dress from her wardrobe because she never saw this dress. Wondering why her mom gave it to her, she dressed herself, and went outside her room towards the living room to see her parents.

When they saw her, her mom laughed a little while her dad softly smiled. Willow got closer with wonder on her face;

« Where does the dress come from mom ? »

« Oh, it was mine when I was your age, I wanted to give it to you »

A broad smile on her face, Willow jumped in the arms of her mom so hug her with all her might. She softly pulled back and asked her mom to do her hair with a sweet smile. She agreed and Willow sat down, and took off her glasses and set them on her lap to let her mother play with her hair while she twisted it into braids. Humming quietly, Willow kicked her feet a little, trying to make time go faster while she sat uncomfortably still.

After some time, a braid was sat comfortably on her shoulder while her mom played with some blond hair that was too short to stay in the braid. She had a frown on her face, concerned .. Yet Willow didn't notice, her back still faced her sweet mother. Until she felt her hug from behind, a little surprised, the young girl stopped kicking her feet and turned her face towards the adult.

« Mom ? »

«  .. I love you sweet heart .. »

After a beat of silence, Willow smiled and placed her arms around as best as she could. She returned the hug, a hug between a mother and a daughter.. A hug from a scared mother, and a terrified daughter. This sweet moment was soon cut short by the sound of some sort of bell going off in the district. It was time, this year reaping was starting.

With a scared look, the mom and daughter let go of each other but still held hands. Walking towards the district main place, her father soon joining the duo. With a final kiss on the forehead, the small family parted ways, the two adults went towards their place while Willow went into a line to get a drop of her blood, soon she was told to go with the others, waiting in ranks in front of this stage put specially for this fantastic event .. On it, you could already see the victors from previous years, her father being one of them. There was also the escort of their district, dressed in bright colors.