Part 2: Everyday

"Same melody..."

I woke up; the strange humming echoed around me. It was a sound I couldn't quite place. I attempted to find the source at night when the melody started, but I could never find it.

As usual, I was the last one to wake up.

I should get going; I really don't want to be the last person to get to school. It's a three-day trip from Akuma Village to the capital, and my big brother is supposed to pick me up today... My thoughts lingered on the image of my brother as I stared at his picture in my room. It's been 6 years since he last visited... I wonder how much he's changed and how strong he must be now.

"Akira!!!" A high-pitched voice from the other side of the door interrupted my thoughts.

"What, Kaede? I just woke up; I'll be out in a moment."

"Big bro Hiro is here!"

I quickly grabbed my clothes and bags, running outside my room and down the stairs. There sat Hiro in the living room. He looked different from what I remembered. At 23, he appeared as a respectable adult. Little Kaede had grown suddenly too; at 14, she sometimes acted more mature than her age.

"Did you bring the thing?" Kaede asked Hiro, staring at him intensely.

"Yes, I did." Hiro took out a weird black-and-white teddy bear.

"YES!!! Finally! Mr. Bubbles!"

Okay, I misspoke; she's definitely a kid at heart.

"Hiro, you should really stop spoiling your little sister," Keira, our mother, spoke.

"But, Mom!"

"No buts Kaede; you already have your room filled with plushies your brother buys for you from the capital. Someday you'll throw everything away because you're an adult, and then what are we going to do with all the money you spent?" said mom sternly.

"Well... if it's spent money, I don't think there's anything we can do..." she whispered.

"What did you say, honey?" Mom asked while grabbing a ladle.

"Nothing, Mom!"

Hiro stood up and turned to me. "Well, I guess Dad's not going to come see us off, is he?"

"He's been... busy," I said, looking down.

Dad had worked hard for these past few years, focusing on the village's defenses. Even while sleeping, he maintained a concentrated flow of energy with his summons to keep them watching the village. His health had deteriorated, and he was no longer the muscled force of nature he once was. Regardless, he did his best to protect everyone and ensure the village's peace and happiness.

Hiro and I bid farewell to our mother and sister and set off. I kept a low profile through the village, as some villagers still shamed me for what happened years ago. I wasn't even permitted to train with the other summoners.not everyone saw me that way though, I did still have some friends.

Hiro spoke as we neared the walls, "Hey, Akira, I would love for you to meet some friends of mine. Today is a very special day, you see? It's your first time outside the village, and I wanted it to be as safe as it can be."

I lifted my head to see a chaotic scene.

"HOW ARE YOU SO TONED?!" Dad spoke to a strong, radiant woman with brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Well, the secret is in beating up perverts whenever they try to ask to- - wait, you asked for my muscles?!"

"YES!" A ton of guys from the village admired the woman's strength as she showed off; she could even lift a horse.