Chapter 7

(A/N: chapters 1-6 are around 4,000 words, yes you heard right, 4,000 words. NOW, usually chapters can range from 4,000-10,000 words, depending on the book and all, This chapter will be around 2,808 words. Let me know if you prefer longer chapters or shorter chapters!)

Korra and Sky stood in awed silence as the last echoes of the dark spirit's cries faded away. The cavern had gone still once more, the air now cleansed of its palpable malice. They gazed at each other in wonder, their combined light having vanquished an ancient force of destruction.

A beaming smile broke out on Korra's face. "We did it! That was some amazing teamwork." Sky nodded, returning the smile beneath her mask though her legs still felt weak. She was grateful for Korra's steadying grasp on her arm as they made their way through newly formed tunnels back to the surface.

Emerging into fresh air once more, they found Bolin, Mako, Naga and the rest anxiously awaiting. "Korra! You're okay!" Bolin cried, hugging her tightly. Naga whuffed and nuzzled them both, clearly worried. Mako smiled in relief. "Nice work down there. What happened?"

Korra explained all that transpired as they hastened from the crumbling ruin. Their allies looked on in awe and concern. "Yikes, sounds like you really kicked some evil spirit butt!" said Bolin. But Mako took Sky's arm gently. "Are you hurt? That must have taken a lot out of you."

She shook her head bravely. "No permanent harm done, thanks to the Avatar's strength complementing my own. Together we vanquished a dire threat to your realm." But fatigue was setting in, and she swayed on her feet until Naga lowered to let her lean against the polar bear dog's side.

Just then, the sound of approaching vehicles rang out. Korra turned to see metal benders and Tenzin arriving atop Oogi. "Korra! Are you alright? We felt tremors and saw smoke, there was a report of..." Tenzin trailed off upon noticing Sky draped over Naga.

Korra quickly reassured the councilman. "We're fine, thanks to the Spirit Guardian here. They helped me track and defeat some ancient dark spirit that was attacking the city." Murmurs arose from the officers. Tenzin eyed Sky thoughtfully. "I see...well, we are grateful for your aid, Guardian. But our bison alarmed many when it was found tethered at the scene of destruction."

Sky gathered the last of her strength. "Forgive me, I acted in haste to reach the Avatar once danger arose. The lives of your people were my only concern."

Tenzin nodded solemnly. "Understandable. Still, for security's sake, you should return with us to speak with the council when you've recovered your strength."
Korra helped Sky onto Oogi, exchanging a subtle nod of mutual trust before she took off. Tenzin watched the masked figure thoughtfully as they gained altitude. His premonitions told of deeper mysteries yet unfolding.
At the council chambers, Sky was greeted by grateful nods and bows from the assembled elders.

She addressed them while standing tall despite exhaustion. "Citizens of Republic City, I came solely to aid against threats to your peace and harmony. The evil force vanquished today troubled even my spirit greatly."

Councilman Tarrlok rose dramatically. "Then as guardians of this realm ourselves, we must demand to know the Spirit Guardian's true nature and allegiance!" Raava help me restrain impatience, Sky thought wryly.

Aloud she said, "I am but a messenger, as eternal as the tides yet stranger to your finite realms. My purpose is balance through understanding between all peoples."

"A noble goal, but your appearance remains a mystery." said Tenzin diplomatically. "If you would consent, we have physicians who could examine you for injuries sustained protecting our home." Sky bowed respectfully. "As you say, for the sake of trust between realms." Hopefully her innate vitality would pass mundane tests.