2

That terrible moment when Mikasa sliced his head off, she wasn't there to watch as she was a dumb titan, alongside those who weren't Ackermanns or one of the nine.

But as she turned back, the next thing she saw was Mikasa cradling his head in her arms.

She and Armin simultaneously ran towards him, sobbing, so fucking hard. Nothing was filtered, and she didn't give a damn who was watching her turn into an absolute mess for him.

While Mikasa fought with simply her feelings for him in the past, Y/n used her head as well. She never held a grudge against Levi for beating the living shit out of him that day. Though she thought it was a tad much, she still understood.

Y/n was patient with him since day one.

She never questioned his loyalty. And she damn sure never doubted her own. If it had been the case; him betraying them, betraying her, she still would love him. It'd hurt like hell too, but she would.

The day he told Mikasa he hated her, even then she looked at him unbothered, knowing damn well he was lying. Then when he forced his eyes to look at her and muttered the words, "I never loved you," she almost laughed at how well she could see through him.

Maybe she was in denial. She didn't know why she refused to believe he would betray them but she just didn't. Eren taught her to keep moving forward and that's one thing she spent her entire life doing.

Every day she visited his tree. She knew Eren wanted her to move on, but she couldn't. Neither could Mikasa. Or Armin.

There was not a day that went by when she didn't think of him.

She would lean against the tree, her mind stuck in the past. She, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, running up that hill.

She also replayed his laugh in her head on repeat, it being one of the things she loved most about him. She hadn't heard it in so long, and now she won't be able to ever again.

He erased her memories. He said he loved her, told her to move on, and told her to forget him and be happy with someone else, but she simply dismissed the idea. She couldn't describe it herself but her love for him ran so deep she felt it in her bones. In every fiber of her being.

She just wished she could've been there for him.

Tears trickled down her face. There hasn't been a day where she hasn't cried.

She wondered how he was doing, where ever he was, and if he watched her.

Every day she muttered the words,

"I love you."

Into the air.

Every day she saw a bird swirling around the tree, it had never once so far come to her, but it would stay for a while.