4

She lay in the grass, tears once again trickling down her face.

"I'm coming." She muttered, her voice hoarse. "After all this time, I'll finally be able to keep moving forward with you."

"There's always tomorrow."

A bird once again landed on her. It rested on her head, and she closed her eyes with a small smile. "Excited to see me again, I see." She spoke to the bird, and she felt it lightly peck her before she gasped.

She was calm. Relief and excitement to be with her friends again. To be with him again.

She was the last to pass, Mikasa and Armin having done so a few years prior. She cried on those days, telling them she'd soon be there as well, and to wait for her. She could feel the life draining from her each passing day.

Though she knew Eren and everyone else didn't want her to live like this, she practically lived to die.

While she finally enjoyed some peace, it wasn't the same without him being there.

Her body lay limp, slowly becoming cold over time. The bird, though she didn't know, had died with her, not seeing any more cause to watch over her.

-

She sat up and looked around.

"I died..."

"Y/n."

She jolted at his voice, turning her head to look at him.

"Eren?!" She sobbed as she stood up.

"After all this time.." He muttered, tears also streaming down his face.

She moved as quickly as she could to get to him and he did the same.

"Eren!!" She grabbed onto him as tightly as she possibly could.

He hugged her right back, he was smiling the widest smile he ever had, as he took her in.

"Oh god, I-I missed you so much!" She said.

"Me too, Y/n. I love you, and I'm so sorry."

"For what?"

"For everything." He sobbed silently, refusing to let her go.

"I don't care about that anymore. I'm here with you now, that's all I'll ever need."

"Well if you two are done, I'd like some love too. Sheesh." Mikasa said.

"Mika~!" Y/n cried, turning to her next after finally allowing herself to let go of Eren.

Mikasa hugged her. "Everything's alright now."

"Mhm." She sniffed then let go.

She turned around to find Armin and he was sitting by the tree.

Her noticing the tree made her take in her surroundings.

She was back home.

Back where the sun was shining and the leaves danced in the wind. She saw Armin pick up a leaf and smiled.

She walked to him and sat down. He looked at her and they hugged, sobbing into each other. Armin and Y/n had always confided in each other about things before anyone else. They were best friends, allowing each other to talk and vent about Eren and Mikasa when times were tough.

"We're finally all together again." He said.

"Yeah, after so long." She looked back up to see Eren and Mikasa sit next to them.

Eren sat on Y/n's side while Mikasa was on Armin's.

Y/n took Eren and Armin's hand, and Armin grabbed Mikasa's.

"We can finally...rest in peace." Y/n sighed.

"We can stop moving forward," Eren confirmed.

"But there'll always be a tomorrow."

They all leaned against the tree, hand in hand, eyes closed.

Until she suddenly felt Eren's lips on hers, in a gentle kiss.

Her eyes opened for a second as she kissed him back. It wasn't a super long kiss but one last, "I love you." before they rested in peace.

Eren pulled away and leaned promptly against the tree. "Always, as long as they're with you."

"Couldn't see it any other way."

"I love you guys," Mikasa muttered as she leaned on Armin's shoulder.

"I do too." Armin chimed with a happy smile.

"All this sappy shit is killing me," Eren said, wiping away his tears.

"Shut up, why would you ruin the moment like that?" Y/n scolded, while he only shrugged.

Armin suddenly laughed, and he didn't stop.

"What's so funny?" Y/n smiled, confused.

"I'm just so happy right now."

"Me too. Oh, and thank you Eren."

"What for?"

"For everything."