The Lost City of Atlantis: Part Four

The ocean is 36,000 feet deep. 228,450 known species live there. We as a species haven't even discovered them all. In fact, we haven't even explored 95% of the ocean. We barely even scratched the surface on the 5% we have.

I did a project on the ocean for my 5th-grade biology class. I talked about how my parents were sailors, how I lived on a boat, and how I wanted a pet octopus for my birthday because they constantly escaped from their tanks in aquariums.

Now- I stand here (mid-panic attack) a room slowly filling with water. My dad and newly discovered great-great-great-something uncle are fighting about something that feels considerably less important than the fact we're going to die in the background. Oh, also Dewey is being incredibly constructive by saying "We gotta stop the water!" as he fails at plugging one of the holes spurting water into the room.

No duh, Dewey.

How did octopuses get out of tanks? Look for a weak spot? There are no flipping weak spots- I am in a stone room under thousands of tons of water. I will drown either way.

I want to go home. I want dry land. I want Dad to stop yelling. I want to lie down and cry. I want the water to stop rising. I want my shirt to be dry again. I want-I want-

"Why's there a lamp on the floor?"

The words cut through all my panic-filled thoughts, and I sputter. Suddenly I'm very very aware that the water has enough that I'm currently very badly floating. I quickly grab towards Dad, who immediately reaches out a hand to grab me as he says "What?"

Dewey points up at the large jewel on the ceiling. I glance up at it before hiding my face again in Dad's shoulder.

"Atlantis is upside down," Dewey explained, as he floated around us. "That means the lamp was supposed to be on the floor surrounded by all this treasure."

Scrooge's eyes widened before urging Dewey to continue. "That a boy, lad. Keep going."

"But why would you surround that thing with treasure unless..." Dewey pauses before Scrooge joins him in making his point.

"That's the real jewel of Atlantis!" They both shout together while I try to piece together what the heck was happening.

"Like the one that the guy with the bad Scottish accent took?" I ask, getting an enthusiastic nod from my great-uncle. He goes on.

"That thing lit up when the trap was sprung. I bet my bottom dollar it's the power source that runs the city!"

While this was a fun discovery, it didn't change that we were still all going to die. Although apparently, Dewey wanted to speed the process up as he yelled over at my dad. "Uncle Donald! You gotta let the room flood so I can grab the jewel!"

"What???" I practically screech. Dad glances back at the plug he has created that has mostly stopped letting more water in before looking back at my cousin.

"That's crazy!" Dad starts, which I frantically nod in agreement with. "As opposed to what? Let go? Trust you?"

"Do not trust him." I echo, holding onto Dad's arm tighter and trying to ignore that my shirt is starting to stick to my chest with how soaked it is. But, of course, I am ignored.

Dewey responds. "Well yeah, that's kinda all you can do. This is a surprisingly insightful death trap!"

Dad takes a moment to consider, looking down at me. I give the best "if you do this and I die, I will haunt you" glare that I can in return. Another second passes before he shifts me to where I'm partly hanging off his back before he pushes off the wall. This allows the leak to start pouring water into the room again. I try to hold onto Dad's back, shutting my eyes tight as the water level rises to the ceiling.

Dewey, Scrooge, and Dad reach up to somehow wrench the jewel on the ceiling out of its socket. The moment it does, the water stops and starts to drain.

"We're going to be ok." I hear Dad say and feel a pat on my head. I still refuse to open my eyes until every drop has drained.

When they do manage to pry me off Dad and walk like a normal semi-traumatized person, we start heading back to where we assume the rest of the group is. Dewey walks beside me, sporting a sheepish smile. "Sorry that you coming to rescue me turned into having to face your greatest fear."

"What fear?" I respond, sarcasm dripping off the words. "That was like a vacation for me."

"Really?"

I swat at Dewey's head. "No! You owe me so much ice cream after that!"

Dewey opens his mouth to respond, but he doesn't get the chance to as we are suddenly greeted by his brothers, Webby, and a very messed up Launchpad fighting those goons that left us in that death trap to begin with. We all stare slack-jawed for a couple of seconds before Scrooge looks around. "Wait, where's Glomgold?"

One of the goons' walkie-talkies crackles to life with a terrible Scottish accent. "Hey, team! Wanted to thank you for keeping Scrooge's kin busy while I escape with the jewel and blow up Atlantis with my most hated rival inside!"

Wait did he just say blow up??

"But I thought employees were the greatest treasure of all." One of the goons says into the walkie. Oh my gosh, this is really sad.

"Don't be ridiculous! Treasure is the greatest treasure of all. That's why it's called treasure! Glomgold out!" The walkie crackles out before ending with a click.

"We have to go," Scrooge says hurriedly before the entire ancient structure shakes. I hear things collapsing farther away. The female goon chuckles nervously. "Mr. Duck, could we- ah – maybe bum a ride off you?"

Scrooge scowls before he sees me running to the exit.

I look back at everyone. "I'm not almost drowning twice today! Freaking run!!"

Thankfully we make it back to the sub alright, where I spend the next 16 hours with the hood of my hoodie wrapped around my face and praying for the moment when I'm back on sweet, sweet land.

And when we do get back, Glomgold is taking questions from the press with his "Jewel of Atlantis". I'm sure there was some grand "Uh actually we have the real jewel", but honestly, I was too busy kissing the beach to pay attention to what was going on.

The only thing that did bring me back to reality was the sound of our houseboat exploding in the distance. I slowly turned to look at Dad, who looked equally shocked.

Dewey sucks in a breath. "oooo, I may have left the engine running in the houseboat..." He slightly slumps as everyone stares over at him.

Dad sighs loud before turning to Scrooge, a silent plea.

"I may have a dozen or so spare bedrooms in the mansion." Scrooge relents with a smile. Everyone cheers as I raise my hand.

"So I get my own room?" 

oh thank god, i finished the episode. only took three years- i'm gonna go work on my college homework now.