The Lost City Of Atlantis: Part One

I sit quietly next to Huey, fiddling with my fingers and trying not to hyperventilate. "I still don't get why you're scared of water, (Y/n). We live on a boat." My red cousin states, flipping a page in his Junior Woodchuck Guidebook. "I'm not scared of water!" I retort. "I'm scared of the oblivion hiding under the surface...I'm scared of the fact that thousands of sailors have gone down in it's depths...I'm scared of the things that live down there that could kill me and then eat my remains without a second-" "You're scared of water." Huey interrupts.

"YES! YES I AM AND IT DOESN'T HELP THAT WE'RE IN A SUBMARINE!!" I yell, gesturing wildly around the sub. "Remember the steps, (Y/n)." Huey says. I take a deep breathe, then let it out. "K. I'm good."

"Good." Huey continues. "Cause we're going under." I look out the window to see the surface disappear. Deep Breathes. DeEp BrEaThEs!

At that moment, Dewey and Scrooge come down from top side. Gallons of water follow them. I push down the wave of shivers that threaten to overtake my body. To distract myself, I climb over seats to get where Louie and Webby are filtering out the water. "Hey, Uncle Donald." Louie says into the phone in his hand as I crawl into a seat next to him. He and I exchange a look and he hands the phone to me. "Hi, Dad!" I say brightly, glaring at Louie. The boy had been trying to train me to lie since we both could talk. Guess this is another lesson...

"Y/n?" Dad says from the other end. "Is every ok? Where did Louie go?" "Scrooge wanted him to help open his prunes..." The lie slides off my tongue with ease. So do all the ones that follow. Dang It. Louie rubbed off on me...

I hang up to find Webby staring at me in confusion. "Why didn't you tell him the truth?" I open my mouth before Louie interrupts. "You didn't tell your grandma we were going to a dangerous underwater city did you?"

Webby's cheeks flush red and she looks at the ground. "I kinda sorta didn't tell her.....anything?" My jaw drops. "Webby!! I'm surprised at you!" I hand her the phone. "Call her and-" "Tell her that you're spending the night at a friends house!" Louie says, drowning out the rest of my sentence.

"Louie!" I snap. "No!" He smiles. "What do I always tell you, (Y/n)? Lying..." "It's the responsible thing to do...." I respond grudgingly. Louie puts his hand over his heart in mock pride. "That's my girl.." He wipes away a fake tear. "I never thought I'd see the day!'

I punch his shoulder. "And you never will." I then turn to Webby. "Just call your grandma, Webbs."

And with that, I crawl back over chairs to my seat next to Huey.

**************************

"Hello, Bingo!!" Huey says happily, riffling though his bag. I scoot away from him as he addles on about his plans. I've been in plenty of 'Huey Road Trips' before and this one is turning out to be the about same. I shake out of zoning out to hear the end of Huey's rant. "But according to the travel itinerary-" "BOO!!" Dewey shouts, leaning over the back of a seat to rip up the itinerary in Huey's hands. "Adventure isn't about planning! It's about doing!"

I brush off a piece of the ripped itinerary on my sweatshirt and watch as Dewey excitedly runs up to where Scrooge stands next to the subs controls. "So! What can I be in charge of? The buzz-saw arm?"

"No!" Scrooge protested. But as we all know, Dewey Duck does not give up that easily. "Sonic Cannons?" "No!" "Hyper- Dense zero-point energy missiles to pierce the scaly hind of a karken?!"

Finally, Scrooge shuts my blue cousin down. "None of those things are real things! This is your first expedition, so just sit back and watch a old pro from a safe distance." Dewey frowns. "So what is this submarine equipped with?"

A second later, Scrooge clicks the seat belt in place over Dewey. "Seat Belts." He then walks away. "Ha! Good one!" Dewey calls after him. I shake my head. 'The boy will never learn.' "Classic Scrooge-Dewey banter! The seasoned but tired explorer passing the torch to his cocky young successor!" Dewey says.

'He can not be this stupid....'

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't know our names..." Huey says, leaning over the back of his brother's chair. Dewey blinks. "I'm sorry, what?" I join Huey on the chair. "He called Huey Hurbert once."

Dewey shakes his head in disbelief. "Don't be ridiculous!" He turns around in his seat to look back at Scrooge. "Hey, Scrooge! When are we gonna set sail, Scrooge?" Scrooge doesn't even look up when he says. "In a moment, Sonny-Jim."

Dewey slumps down his seat. Trying to make him feel better, Huey offers one of the roadtrip shirts. Dewey glares at the present. "I will cram it down your throat." Of course, this makes Huey sad too.

He sits back in his seat with a frown. I purse my lips, then take the shirt from his hands. I slip it over my head and give him a smile. He smiles back. I jump as Louie starts talking behind me. 'Little warning next time ok, Lou?!'

"Lighten up, Guys! We're on a deep sea adventure with Scrooge McDuck!" He says. I shiver at the words 'deep sea'. 'Don't remind me...' On Cue, Scrooge stands up and slaps a map down next to Launchpad. "Mr. McQuack, Chart a course! Next stop! Atlantis!" All us kids cheer in unison. Finally some excitement. After our screaming session, Scrooge continues. "In about 16:00 hours!"

"....Yah. Wake me up when we get there...."