Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Lucilia was on her horse Daisy in no time, with one of her father's bows strapped around her body. She had pulled off her skirt in the stable where no one could see her and emerged on the horse in the trousers. Cato and his two younger brothers tried to not gawk, but they were failing. Cato's father was not looking at Lucilia at all and her father seemed to be enjoying every second of the awkwardness that was happening. Lucilia was enjoying it too.

The hunting party set out towards the safer, less haunted woods with the hunting dogs in tow and this time her father made sure that no staff from the estate were present. They typically came, but since Lucilia's father wanted to show off a little, he made them stay. This was meant for him and his daughter alone.

Lucilia followed at the back, Cato was sticking pretty close to her. His brothers were at the front, very excited about hunting and very knowledgeable with instructing the dogs. Lucilia was impressed, and also weary about how close Cato was. His constant glances at her made her nervous.

She finally decided to do something about it and made her horse take the last few faster steps to catch up to him. "So this is what you like to do in your free time."

Cato smiled at her, "it is. Have you hunted before?"

Lucilia kept her face blank, "I have."

"Successfully?"

Lucilia lifted an eyebrow, "successfully."

Cato nodded with surprise clearly on his face. He didn't seem to know what to say after that and went back to being quiet.

The hunting party rode for over an hour before the dogs got jumpy. They took off to the left and the horses quickly followed. Lucilia fell to the back again, but she didn't mind. She fumbled with the bow she was carrying and notched an arrow as best she could while the horse was sprinting.

Daisy was having no trouble keeping up and Lucilia had no problem staying put, even with the bow in her hand ready to fire. She wouldn't be able to hit anything, but if she at least she would try. Make an effort to look like she was doing anything.

The dogs finally came to the area they were hunting and started to circle. Lucilia pulled back and watched as the dogs circled around two deer corpses. They looked freshly mauled and it was suspicious.

The men went to join the dogs in circling the mysterious scene. All five of them. Lucilia felt her stomach turn, something was not right.

A terrible roar came out from the bush and the biggest bear Lucilia had ever seen lept at Cato's father. All the men made shouts of surprise, as the bear landed on his horse.

Lucilia didn't even think, her horse started running away, but she fired. She fired the arrow and prayed it would work, even with her horse making a run for it.

The arrow sailed, and it landed. It landed right in the bear's eye.

The bear let out another roar and Lucilia managed to steer Daisy back towards the chaos. Cato's father was scrambling away from the bear as best he could, but the bear had his leg. Lucilia notched another arrow and let it fly. It landed again, in the same eye, this time deep enough.

The bear fell forward, onto Cato's father's lap, but was no longer moving and silence descended.

Lucilia brought Daisy to a stop and looked around. Cato and her father were on the ground, swords raised, ready to fight the bear, their horses running away. Cato's brothers had taken off with the dogs. Lucilia was the only one who had accomplished anything.

Her father looked at her and grinned, "moving target?"

Lucilia kept her face blank, even though she wanted to smile. She shot two arrows and hit the target perfectly.