Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Lucilia took her time in undressing. She couldn't leave while the party was still going, so she had to wait until the early hours. To entertain herself, she got her wardrobe sorted. She added a fur to the inside of her bags strap to help prevent any rubbing if she needed to run, then she packed it with one set of extra undergarments and laid dressed in her base layer. Black trousers and a black shirt with short sleeves. They were tight and a little uncomfortable, but they would help her keep warm if it is cold.

As she got herself ready, she heard party guests going to their rooms for the night. She laid into her bed and waited. There was too much adrenalin going through her for sleep, but she was worried her mother would come to check on her.

Laying there, listening to the sounds of the estate, was probably the longest wait of her life. It took everything in her to not move, even when the staff member came in to add a log to her fire. She wasn't entirely sure if they would be on her side or not. Sylvia should, but Lucilia was questioning even her loyalties after the dress incident.

After the house had quieted, and Lucilia waited another 30 minutes just in case, she got up from her bed. Heading over to her dresser, she dressed as if it was the middle of winter. Wearing all black and some of her better furs that were not the expensive kind.

She made sure to hide weapons all over her person, and even grabbed a sword and a bow and arrow to strap onto her back. The three weapons along with her new bag strap felt like she was wearing a cat around her body, but it wasn't uncomfortable and that was what mattered.

Lucilia snuck out to her fathers and stole the maps along with a compass that he had promised her. She even paused and grabbed a history book that dated back to before the current King family's reign. Back before the first war that sent most of the world into hiding and left humans to fend for themselves. That was Lucilia's favorite thing to read about and she was sure this would keep her entertained if she needed it.

The next stop she made was the kitchen. There was another bag filled with cheese, bread, apples, carrots, potatoes, and other easy to eat items that she would not have to cook. Beside the bag was lint and a fire starter which she happily added to her own bag. There was also an entire purse full of coins and she let out a sigh of relief. She was so grateful for their help, words couldn't describe the feeling.

Lucilia almost expected a note from her father or Raymond to be waiting for her, but there wasn't.

With a sigh, and one last look around the kitchen, Lucilia left out the backdoor. She left on foot, like her father said she should, even though she desperately wanted to go get her horse. Her body was going to hurt if she had to spend two weeks walking. Maybe she could buy a horse somewhere else.

The walk to her training area felt almost like it would be her last. She had a sinking feeling she might never see her parents estate again, or perhaps not for a very long time.

She took a little longer than normal, enjoying the quiet before the sun rose. It was rather dark when she started, but by the time she made it, the sky was lightening.

Inside her training area, she took her time savoring the feeling of being there while she grabbed the rest of the weapons she wanted and either strapped them to her body or put them in her bag. When it was all safely stored, she took one more look around and then left. She made sure it looked as if no one had been there, because surely someone would check for her here, then took out her compass and headed east, towards Itaburn.

Walking was easy, for a while. Lucilia had to tie her jacket to her bag after the sun rose high enough, but it was comfortable enough for the moment. She realized around lunch, when her stomach was growling that she forgot to eat something when she was in the kitchens that morning.