chapter four

"when you look at yourself, are you a manor a monster?" - Man or a Monster, Sam Tinnesz (feat

are you a man
or a monster?"
- Man or a Monster, Sam Tinnesz
(feat. Zayde Wølf)

"Would you prefer I call you Mr. Barnes or James?" I ask.

Those baby blues bore into mine, making my eyelashes flutter.

"Or I can call you Sergeant Barnes? It is your official title." I add.

He snickers at me. "You can call me whatever you want. You're the one making the money."

Still untrusting, I see.

"Just so you know, it's not about the paycheck." I assure him, shaking my head. "I'm not here to do my nine-to-five, then leave everything at the office. If thats what I wanted, I would pursue a different career, because this is not a nine-to-five job."

"What kind of job is it?" he questions.

"I don't know if I ever really clock off. Some clients call on me when they're in need and I'll either stay with them on the phone or go to them. I do not charge for that. Sometimes people just need a listening ear, moral support, a shoulder to cry on. Or sometimes just another heartbeat."

He subtly tilts his head, eyes fixed on me with a scrutinising stare. "You really do that?"

"You're full of questions today."

"I think I have a right to know about who I'm supposedly opening up to." he comments, arching an eyebrow.

"Fair point." I reply. "To answer your question.. Yes. I really do that. I try my best to be there for my clients. It can be frightening and stressful at times, but it's also an honour. I'm honoured that they feel they can reach out to me. Especially when they feel they cannot reach out to anyone else. So I will do what I can to help them."

"Why?" he asks, genuinely curious.

"Because I want to help people live the best life they can. Just live, just be. Experience life and connection. Anything is possible when even just a little bit of love is present. Love, compassion and kindness all go a long way." I explain. "These have been missing in your life for quite some time. And that began to change before the blip, correct?"

He nods slowly.

"These things present themselves in many ways, so you have to be open and willing for them to occur. Willing to accept these offerings as they come. Self love and self acceptance play a big part here, too. What you feel you deserve.."

He drops his gaze to the floor, remorsefully.

I sit forward, moving to the edge of my seat. "I want you to know that you do deserve every little bit of good that comes your way, whether or not you believe so."