2: fake it

Apparently my parents had 'such a blast' that they've decided to invite the Dugrays back next week. The only good thing is that me and Tristan are allowed to leave after dinner so we don't have to sit and listen to their conversations. Me and Tristan have a tricky relationship. We both had feelings for each other during elementary. But didn't act on it because of our parents being so close. Those feelings are long gone now. Tristan's a totally different person to the boy I was in love with when I was 8 years old. He's played around with most of the Chilton girls.

"So she's pretty?" Paris asks Madeline and Louise as I'm walking up to them mid conversation. "She is pretty" Madeline sighs and I just look at them with a confused expression. "What's going on?" I question, my mind is completely blank after finding out about our weekly dinners with the Dugrays to discuss 'business'. "Hello, uh- Alizeh!, the new girl ring any bells?" Louise inclines with a sassy tone. I completely forgot about that. "You guys have seen her already!?" I exclaim, and they all look at me with the same 'you should've been here' look. A classic.

"Ah Mr dugray" "sir" Tristan arrives in class and immediately I notice his eyes flicker to the new girl. Rory. Poor Rory, not only is she gonna meet the wrath of Paris, she's also the new, 'Mary' of the school. And unfortunately for her, she fits that perfectly, with her features and brown hair. Tristan takes his seat behind me, and asks his friend about the new girl. I feel a tap on my shoulder and look behind me. "So what do you think of Mary over there?" He asks me smirking at the back of her head. I just give him a smile that says, 'I really don't care right now' and turn back around for the rest of the class.

"Oh please she won't last a month here" Paris exclaims, Paris has a thing against exchange students... well we all do, but Paris mostly. Rory seems to be pretty smart. No one can score higher than Paris.

Another day another night with the Dugrays and having to play happy families. Luckily for me and Tristan. We can leave after we finish eating to do whatever we'd like. "Alizeh, I assume you'll be greeting them at the door again?" My mother asks me and I give her a sweet nod, before she closes the door to my bedroom, giving me the space to get ready.

"So, Tristan, Alizeh" we're currently sitting around the dining table eating. Mrs Dugray lifts me and Tristan's attention by calling our names. Looking at us and then at my parents, my father continues, "we've been thinking quite a-lot about our business' and how far we've come together as business partners-" my father pauses, oh great another business talk that me and Tristan won't even remember in an hour.

"And we think it's a good idea to get you both involved. It's very important that you both get a look into the futures of your lives." My mother continues, acting as if the only thing I want is to lead a family business. I cough, "I'm sorry mother, but what would this include?" I ask her in confusion. My mothers eyes dart to Mrs Dugray then Mr Dugray, who both nod.

"Us as partners have decided that it would be a good idea if you and Tristan would get... married" my eyes widen and I hear Tristan choke on a piece of food, apologising after for his table manners. "I think I'm finished" I say, placing my cutlery back onto the table before getting up and storming off.

I was pacing around my room, my arms crossed. I still couldn't process this information. My parents want me and Tristan to marry? For business?. I mean I've heard of arranged marriages, but for me? I'd never even imagin- a knock at the door breaks me out of thought and I immediately stop pacing around my room and clear my nose before opening the door. It's Tristan. I quickly pull him into my room by his sleeve. "I can't believe this, I mean what are they thinking? Us and an arranged marriage" I rant in frustration to Tristan who looks just as taken aback as I do. "Did you know about this?" He asks me curiously and I shake my head, 'no'. He rolls his eyes and I cross my arms. "This is completely absurd" I say, shaking my head in frustration.

"Maybe you should stop pacing around" Tristan says after watching me for a while. He sounds so calm, but his face is saying something completely different. "You know what this means?" I ask him rhetorically and he nods. But he brings a hand to my shoulder to stop me from moving around anymore. "We could always just get a divorce" he tries to reason and I burst out laughing "or we could just not go along with our parents stupid plan for what? A business that I don't even want to be apart of." I admit the last part for the first time. I've never told anyone that.

"Alizeh?" Tristan breaks me out of my mind. "Yeah sorry" I say making a face for him to go on with whatever he was going to say. "We should go back down and just tell them we aren't doing it" he sighs and looks to the ground then into my eyes. "Yeah... yeah you're right. But if I say no, I'll feel like I've just proved to them that I'm just a scared little girl who'll never be ready for anything life throws at her" I say and he just stares at me in understanding, "I hate letting my parents down too" Tristan sighs and I meet his eyes. A mutual understanding that we both have.

We're never gonna be who our parents want us to be. And there's no worse feeling than that.