10: Wedding bells stop ringing

I remember a dream that I had a while ago. And after everything that happened. I like to believe the boy in the dream was Tristan.

I was getting married in less than a week. I was going to university an already married woman. I thought I was ready for it, after everything. But I can't. I know I want to be with Tristan. But marriage? I was barely even legal, nevermind going to university married. And I know Tristan feels the same, with him going to military school we won't even see each other at all.

I was on call with Tristan and I really needed to talk to him about it, we've talked briefly about being ready, but I can't do it. It's too soon, even if Tristan is the one I want to be with. "I can't do it" I just come out and say it, "I know" Tristan replies through the phone, I can hear him sigh and I already know he feels the same. "Too soon?" I ask laughing and I hear him chuckle

"yeah it's too soon, it's just telling our parents is the part I'm worried about" he admits and I nod to myself. "It's gonna be rough, but after everything I think they'll understand" I say, giving us both hope, though it's unlikely that they'll be okay with it, I just can't help but wish they would see it from our perspective."So at dinner tonight?" Tristan asks through the phone, "now or never, right?"

There's only an hour left until Tristan gets here, and everything was playing out over my head, over and over again. I keep thinking of the worst possible scenario. What are they gonna think of me after this, I'm gonna let down my parents. And I hate when I let them down. Because living up to this big 'Cortez' legacy they've painted for me is stressful.

"Alizeh, my mother calls from downstairs" I take a deep breath and prepare myself for disaster that's going to occur when the Dugrays get here in an hour. "Coming mother" I shout down, this was supposed to be the last dinner before me and Tristan would be wed. Only, we were no longer getting wed. If our plan works out at least.

We both jumped in too deep without thinking of our education and futures first. We were only thinking of making our parents happy, not making ourselves happy. I have no problem with marrying Tristan It's just too soon for it to happen. "Now this is a very special dinner we have planned for tonight, I want you on your best behaviour" my mother says, straightening the collar of my dress shirt. If she says something is special, then she means it. It's just going to make this 10 times harder than it has to be.

"My little girl is getting married in 3 days" she whispers in my ear before walking into the dining room. Leaving me there, in a hallway that seemed so empty without her presence occupying the space. I take a deep breath and follow her into the dining room. Where I was to sit like a robot until they arrived.

I heard the door knock and my father got up from his chair to invite them in. "Good evening" he starts, bringing them into the dining area, making the maid take of their coats and take their bags from them. Tristan took his seat beside me, and squeezed my thigh in reassurance when he saw my face. We were about to cause something. And it'll either end in us getting married in 3 days or then agreeing to our terms.

"How is everyone tonight? Ready for the big day?" Mrs Dugray looks at me smiling sheepishly and I look to Tristan who starts it off. "About that mother, me and Alizeh have been talking..." I see some colour drop in Mrs Dugrays face, "Alizeh isn't pregnant is she?" Mr Dugray assumes and my eyes go wide and I shake my head aggressively. "No, father, it's about our wedding" Tristan ends his accusation. "We want to get married, but neither of us are ready" I blurt out and I look around. Everything and everyone looks paused besides Tristan who takes my hand under the table.

"What do you mean? your wedding is in three days" my mother asks, anger evident in her tone. And I just look down at the table instead of making eye contact with her. She notices, "Alizeh look at me" she commands, and I do as she says, locking eyes with her. "We want to get married mother, but we believe we're too young. Tristan is going to military school and I'm going to Yale." I say and I leave the rest for Tristan, "we want to finish our education first, and then get married" he sighs and my mother looks even more angry. "Alizeh outside. NOW!" She screams at me. Leaving the table and making me follow her.

"After all we have done and prepared for this wedding, you pull this stunt?" She asks with fury. And I can't bare the sound of her. "I love him mother." I say, she's never heard me say that, her eyes soften and she lifts my chin with her finger. "So you both do want to get married?" She questions again and I roll my eyes, "we've been saying that, but we want to finish education. We don't want to spend our first year married being away from each other" I admit. She pulls me into a hug and apologises for how she raised her voice.

With an arm wrapped around my shoulder, she brings me back into the dining room. "We will postpone the wedding until Tristan is done with military school" my mother announces. I see a look of disappointment but understanding in Mr and Mrs Dugrays faces. Tristan stands up in his seats and I smile at him. He runs up to me bringing me into one of those hugs that you can't forget. "We did it" he whispers into my ear.

We weren't getting married anytime soon, but nothing felt better than knowing we had all the time in the world.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤 | 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧 𝐃𝐮𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐲 𝐱 𝐅𝐞𝐦! 𝐎𝐂 🎉