Duty

Adira was not used to waking up at four in the morning. Much less if she had to train at that ungodly hour. She was counting the days for her punishment to end, but Alexander had decided to be petty when Nora tried to vouch for her cousin. Adira and her cousin had grown up together since both their moms were sisters therefore the two girls were used to spending time together.

Nora was the Luna of the pack, mated to Alexander, so Adira did not mind playing babysitter to her best friend. What she had an issue with was getting up five minutes before four in the morning to learn about Nora's schedule and prepare for the day ahead.

In her attempt to be supportive, Nora tried to help Adira distract herself by taking her out as much as possible, what she did not realize however, was that such outings created more work for Adira and the rest of the escorts. So for the rest of the month, she woke up every day at four in the morning to attend meetings with the other six escorts to review safe routes, and the safe houses in the area as well as the required positions in the team.

Alexander was very cautious, especially when it came to his mate.

This job was not as bad as she first thought. The problem was that it was a slow job, always waiting for danger rather than hunting it down.

They visited the city quite often, Adira taking the place of guardian as Nora wanted to have her closer.

They were in the mall, Nora looking for a present for Alexander's birthday.

"You should get him diapers," Adira suggested when Nora asked her for ideas.

"Why?"

"Because he's acting like a baby. He extended my punishment for another month. He's just being childish taking his frustrations out on me now."

Although she was mad at Alexander, Adira made sure she did her job well. She kept close to Nora and looked around the humans, assessing for trouble. She could smell a few wolves from other packs, she made sure she identified them before moving on to communicating her findings with the rest of the escorts.

"Three rogues coming from the south entrance," She heard Abigail, one of the escorts.

"Two in the food court." Said Matias a few minutes later.

Both sent a mental image of the rogues so everyone could identify them more easily. As they were in human territory, the rogues had every right to be there. That did not mean the pack members enjoyed having them so close to their Luna.

"Should I be offended?" Nora asked.

Smiling, Adira shook her head and placed her arm around her shoulders, guiding her through the many products until they reached the jewelry section. Nora was paying such little attention to her surroundings that she did not catch the scent of the sales lady attending over the counter. When Adira noticed her, she pulled Nora by the arm away from the rouge.

When Nora realized what was happening, she pulled her arm back and looked at her cousin with a raised eyebrow.

"You get mad at Caleb and Alex for not letting the girl in, yet you are behaving like them," She accused Adira.

Yes, maybe she was acting the same way those two would but was not condemning the woman to certain death. Was she still bitter about that? Maybe...

She decided to follow Nora, after all, the rouge was at her place of work. Many rouges did not resort to living alone. Most were accommodated to living within the human society and did not cause them any harm. Rolling her eyes, Adira communicated their change of location to the rest of the group. Soon, she saw Adele and Margaret get near them, pointing at some of the pieces of jewelry, not really paying attention to what they were looking at.