CHAPTER 2 MATHARE

"How do we escape this place?" I mused."I don't know; I'm contemplating," my companion replied.The skywalk's price swiftly returned to its roost, and evening light faded. "Darkness is approaching," I noted."Wabee!" I exclaimed, proposing my idea. "Let's wait for the big boys to dive into the water and swipe their T-shirts.""That's risky," he cautioned."I know, but what other choice do we have?" I countered.Hiding in tall grass, we watched as the boys charged into the river. Seizing the moment, we snatched their T-shirts and sprinted up the valley."Hey, kids, return our clothes!" they shouted, but we outpaced them."We'll get you, I promise!" they frustratedly yelled.Ascending Mathare's valley, night fell. The sun had set, and the crowd hurried home. We joined the rush, blending in with those buying groceries and chatting.Upon reaching home, my furious mother demanded, "Where were you?" scrutinizing our muddy feet.Quickly, I lied, "From playing outside.""Don't lie," she warned. Waiting for dinner, I felt an unusual object in my pocket.Post-dinner, I discovered a bright, strange item – not an egg or shell. Excited, I planned to show it to my friend the next day.Unable to sleep, I heard a small voice saying, "Take me back." Terrified, I asked, "Who are you?""I'm from the river. Take me back," the voice pleaded.Claiming to be Wambui wa Roe, a mermaid, she needed her 'cell' back to avoid kingdom banishment."I must return to the river tomorrow," I resolved, aware of potential dangers ahead.