CHAPTER (V) SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST

In the enchanting world beneath the waves, where Njeri and her aquatic friends dwell, the oceanic scenery unfolds as a breathtaking blend of vibrant colours and mysterious depths. The waters of Nairobi paint a mesmerizing spectrum of hues, ranging from crystal-clear shallows near the riverbanks to the deep blues and greens that encircle the underwater landscapes.  As Njeri gracefully navigates the rivers, she glides through coral reefs adorned with exotic aquatic flora. The corals burst to life with neon pinks, electric blues, and shades of purple, creating a living tapestry as schools of fish with unique palettes weave through the formations.

Bubbles, Njeri's aquatic companion, was no ordinary catfish – he was a quirky, long and slimy character with a sense of humour as colourful as his glowing lights. His tentacles waved in the currents like a bizarre underwater dance, earning him the nickname "Disco Catfish" among the merfolk.

With each flip of his tail, Bubbles emitted a symphony of bubbles that seemed to carry secret messages in their rise to the surface. His scales sparkled with iridescent hues, creating a disco-ball effect as he navigated the underwater landscapes. Bubbles had an uncanny ability to mimic the sounds of various underwater creatures, turning ordinary conversations into a comical cacophony of aquatic noises.

Despite his comical appearance, Bubbles played a crucial role in Njeri's underwater adventures. He would often burst into spontaneous aquatic renditions of popular songs, his glowing lights pulsating to the rhythm, bringing laughter to even the most solemn underwater gatherings.

Bubbles had a penchant for peculiar snacks – sea cucumbers and luminescent jellyfish were his favourites. His quirky taste in cuisine often led to amusing encounters as he tried to share his unusual delicacies with other sea creatures, leaving a trail of laughter and puzzled expressions in his wake.

One of Bubbles' endearing traits was his forgetfulness, earning him the title of "The Forgetful Disco Catfish." He would misplace shells, forget important underwater landmarks, and occasionally lose track of the very friends he was supposed to guide. Yet, his infectious laughter and playful antics endeared him to the underwater community, turning his forgetfulness into a charming quirk.

In the most serious of moments, Bubbles could be counted on to inject a burst of levity. His comical gestures, from exaggerated fishy faces to synchronized tail wiggles, could lighten the mood and bring a smile even to the sternest merfolk.

Njeri and Bubbles had a favourite spot in the vast expanse of the Indian Ocean – a hidden cove known only to a select few among the merfolk. This secret sanctuary, nestled amidst coral reefs and guarded by gentle sea turtles, became their haven.

The cove, aptly named the "Aqua Grove," was a symphony of colours and life. Sunlight filtered through the crystal-clear waters, creating a mesmerizing play of dappled light on the sandy ocean floor. Exotic aquatic plants swayed with the currents, and the air was filled with the soothing melody of underwater currents.

For Njeri, the Aqua Grove was a reflection of the rich hues found in African landscapes – the warm browns of the savannah, the deep greens of the rainforests, and the golden glow of the African sunset. The corals in the cove bore patterns reminiscent of traditional African beadwork, adding a touch of familiarity to this hidden paradise.

Bubbles, with his love for all things comical, had a particular fondness for the "Giggle Grotto" within the Aqua Grove. This underwater cavern, adorned with shimmering algae and bioluminescent creatures, echoed with the infectious laughter of Bubbles himself. It became their secret comedy club, a place where Bubbles would unleash his repertoire of underwater jokes, leaving Njeri in stitches and the sea creatures in awe of his comedic talents.