2

Rue listened to the other students fight, the snap of wood, the crunch of the ground, the heavy breathing.
He'd made good use of his hearing over the past few months, even managing to block the odd strike or two from Master Ned, although it was all around hopeless most of the time.
Today was a little special. Usually, Master Ned taught the class stances, strikes and then everyone would practice individually, and Master Ned would help the individuals who were struggling with the new moves, or just doing poorly in general. Today, however, was the first-year tournament. Every student would fight in the entire class, including him, and one person would be named top of the class.
Apparently, these were held once a year for every class, afterwards students could challenge and duel for the top spot, and that happened quite often. There was a healthy style of competition, Rue could almost enjoy it, but knowing he would be embarrassed in front of the entire class didn't make that easy. After the fight had finished, a student named 'Arthur' had apparently won and the two fighters were now moving off and exchanging a bit of banter along with tips and overall comments about the match. Hearing the good nature between them made him feel bitter, somehow.
"Next is Holly and Kaine" Master Ned announced
He expected this, but the words still drove a spike into his stomach. He moved towards Ned's voice, the courtyard blaringly silent.
He heard Holly move too, the rhythmic sound of feet on the dry dirt giving her away. She stopped a little way in front of him, and he could hear her take a deep breath.
He focused, breathing in, and listening. She was like a spot of light in a cavern, and he singled her out from everything else, she'd want to toy with him before ending the match, he fully expected that.
He stood at the ready and prepared himself. "Ready" she said, "ready" he mumbled.
"Begin"
She attacked, immediately. The sound of a crunching boot and swish of air gave it away, a vicious way to start off, maybe she just wanted to get this over with?
Rue dodged back, almost stumbling in surprise, then he decided to try something. He would lose, that was for sure, but he wouldn't go down without a fight.
He'd show them that he would fight back, that they could beat him senseless, and he'd resist till they killed him.
He felt a surge of determination, he would not let them think of him as a worthless freeloader.
He swiped towards her, sending the right side of his staff towards her face, it was met with air, but he was fast and brought the other end around.
This one she blocked, the wood collided sending a shock up his arm. He pulled it back, and then thrusted towards her.
His blow was sent up and to the side, slapped away by Holly's own, and he felt the sting of getting hit in the face.
Pain shot up his nose, warm blood beginning to leak out. He stumbled and dropped his staff, clattering as it hit the ground. There was silence, for a moment. Rue could hear his heartbeat, and the throbbing on his face like it was an entire orchestra in his ears.
"Holly wins" Master Ned announced.
Idiot, he thought to himself, the determination dying, useless fucking idiot. He expected this, but it still stung. It was stupid to expect anything else, and yet he still couldn't help but feel bad about it. Which only made him more sour.
He could already imagine the expression on Holly's face, he could imagine the entire class laughing and jeering, or at least holding back laughter.
He couldn't win, it was practically impossible, he was blind. Blind people can't fight, and he never would.

Lyn looked at him in shock, she didn't really want to break his nose, but reflexes kicked in and she wasn't expecting him to put up that much of a fight.
The plan was to butt him in the stomach, in one swift motion. She expected a little bit of resistance, but what could the blind beggar really do?
She was impressed, the first attack almost got her, and the second would have if she wasn't fast enough.
She looked towards the other students, all of which were watching with surprise. Some smiling in amusement, others looking in awe.
Nobody had expected that it seemed, well, they'd expected him to lose, but they expected him to lose bad. I did too, she thought looking back at him, wondering if he was more than he seemed.
He was. She declared in her mind, and she felt the ever-powerful curiosity that drove most of her life focus itself on him.
Was he really just some beggar? How well could he fight if he wasn't blind? How did he dodge her attack in the first place?
Why did Master Ned take him in?
She decided that she wanted to find out.