4. Jail and more

'Just send the bill to my address, I'll pay it. There's no point in bringing my father here on purpose. He wouldn't have come anyway. Work. ' Emma said to the old man, Mr. Becker, who agreed to come in the evening and install her new balcony window for an extra fee.

Emma still had to speak to Sheriff Stilinski. Stiles called him as soon as he heard the window breaking in Emma's room.

The sheriff gave Emma a strange look. He stood beside her and waited for Mr. Becker to leave.

Stiles, Scott and Derek stood in the driveway of Emma's big house and watched from a distance.

'I'm afraid you're going to have to come with us. '

Emma looked at the sheriff in shock.

'Why? I said I don't know why the windshield broke. '

The sheriff shook his head.

'Maybe at the police station you can tell us where you hid her body. '

Emma's eyes widened.

'What body? '

'I know you're 17, but I have to handcuff you. '

Emma sighed.

'Well, under different circumstances I might even enjoy it. '

The girl heard Derek snort with laughter. She lifted her head and looked at him, watching his surprised face that she heard him. From this distance she shouldn't have heard him unless she had wolf hearing. And she said she wasn't bitten.

'Let me be clear. We found blood on the grass under your window. After a quick test, it turned out that the blood belonged to Laura Hale. '

Emma took a breath. That's impossible. She is already dead.

Sheriff Stilinski continued.
'Accordingly, you are being held on suspicion of the murder of Laura Hale. '

Emma stood frozen. She didn't know what to say. She didn't dare look at Stiles, Scott and Derek because she didn't want to see their disappointed faces.

Russo took one last look at the window of her room and spotted Laura on the balcony. She was sitting there with her legs dangling and a big smile on her face. She waved at Emma and went into her room.

Emma didn't speak all the way to the police station, wondering what would happen to her now. Would they accuse her of killing Laura and put her in jail?

When they arrived at the police station, one of the officers took Emma straight to her cell, where she was to wait until morning to talk to the sheriff.

Emma sat down on the cold floor and hid her face in her hands. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

She lifted her head to see a girl about her age. She had a pale complexion, slightly curly dark hair, and a birthmark under one eye.

'Don't worry. They'll let you out of here. '

'Who are you? How did you get here? '

'Don't you guess? You see me as you see Laura. '

'Are you dead? '

The girl nodded.

'I'll keep you company until Derek gets here. I know he wants to see you. '

Emma looked at the girl questioningly.

'Do you know Derek? '

'I knew him. Old story. '

Emma nodded and lost herself in her thoughts. She didn't know what to think about all this. This is the second dead person Emma has talked to. She is starting to lose her mind.