𝟎𝟔, the auction

VI. 1921

"Am I late?" She asked Micheal as she walked through the door. He sat at the kitchen table looking rather annoyed.

John appeared at the door, "finally, we've got people that are very impatient," he whispered, leaving the green doors open for her.

Maggie looked back at her brother, "The key's on the nail." She said as she pointed with the second key. She closed the old green doors behind her, locking it. By people, John meant Thomas and her mother. The glare they gave her wasn't anything unusual. She hadn't spoke more than five words to either of them since last week.

"Now, Tommy get on with it." Maggie stood between Finn and John. She never understood why she had to come to these meetings when all she did was check the books at the end of the day. It was always so fucking boring.

"Last night one of our men had his throat cut in Winson Green. This morning I had a telegram saying it was Sabini who ordered it."

"And it says here that Thomas Shelby's next." Arthur ripped up the telegram, for dramatic effect.

"If our men think we can't look after them in prison they'll not work for us. Sabini knows that so we need to get the Green sorted out," Thomas continued, "Scudboat, you are one of the boys, break a couple of windows and get yourselves arrested. And if our coppers get you into the Green, you can find the bastards that did it."

"Instead of breaking a window, can we pinch a car?" Scudboat asked, earning a few laughs around the room, "what?"

"Why the fuck am I here?" Maggie sighed, looking to the ceiling.

"Everyone else is getting a bloody car. I'm still on a donkey."

"Aright, just get yourselves arrested, doesn't matter how and before you all laugh," John stopped chuckling the moment Tommy turned his head, "the boy is dead. He was just a kid. We'll start a fund for his family, Pol."

"Agreed." Polly replied quickly. She was keen to get out of this meeting, "So is that it? Can I go now?"

"Well as company treasurer, I need your permission to spend a thousand guineas." Her head snapped up to look at Thomas. Thousand?

"On what?"

"A horse." Maggie burst out laughing, causing a few heads to turn.

"A thousand guineas on a horse?"

"That's right."

"When was this decided?" Pol walked about the room, in shock.

"You've been busy with Micheal," He said, then facing to Maggie. Maggie stopped laughing and glared at her cousin, begging him not to say it, "and Carissa." He added on quickly.

"Dickhead," she didn't need to be reminded. It had been a shit week. She had spent in total about a day with her daughter. Every night Maggie would appear at the door seeing if she could say good night to her daughter in person. She wasn't allowed passed the door most times.

Maggie stepped slowly away from the group, now standing on the other side of the pillar John was standing on, "why do I still have to come to these things?"