Clones deserve better

Obi-Wan was inspecting his X-Wing in the hangar of the Negotiator. He could have asked a mechanic to check on it, but the clones have suffered significant losses and had millions of other things to do, so he decided not to bother them with it.

"General?" asked a clone as he approached. He recognized Glitch's chest plate, which was painted with strange but somewhat attractive designs. He also noticed he wasn't wearing armor on his right hand. Instead, it was wrapped in bandages. 

"What is it, Glitch?" Obi-Wan spoke in his friendly yet authoritative voice that he used for the clones when he was off duty.

Glitch removed his helmet, revealing his unique hairstyle and old scar on his chin. "Umm... sir, Commander Cody told me to speak with you."

"About what?"

"I was hurt and have nerve damage in my right hand. I can move it, but not as well as before. It's still good enough. But I'm supposed to go to Kamino to do clean-up work or something like that, based on protocol. I don't want to go, sir. I can still fight. I- Cody told me that if anyone can help me, it's you, sir." 

Obi-Wan looked at the clone in front of him and thought about it. "I don't want to promise you anything," he began carefully. "I'll have to talk to the medics about it and set up some kind of tests for you. If your injury would have an effect on your success in a fight, you would only be putting yourself at risk. So let's say I talk to the medics and give you a week to adjust to your current physical condition. Then we'll see. Is that okay with you?" 

"I don't know what to- Thank you, General!" 

"It's nothing Glitch. And remember, no promises." Obi-Wan smiled at the trooper who currently looked like he would hug him if the protocols didn't forbid it. "Now why don't you go and enjoy peace while it lasts?"

"Thank you, sir," Glitch gave Obi-Wan a small salute before he joined a group of other clones. And Obi-Wan couldn't differently than to smile softly when he saw the clones hug each other in a friendly gesture. He once again tested his theory that clones deserve a second chance as much as everyone else.

Obi-Wan sighed as he signed another report. It was the full report for the council. Now he had to fill two more reports, the official but not as detailed version for the senate and even less detailed version for the public. 

He started with copying the first report. As he learned early in his first days as a commanding officer in a war, the fasest way to complete all the reports was to write the full one, then copy in and delete some information, making it suitable for the audience. The senate didn't need to know Pong Krell was a traitor, the Jedi council informed him, so that goes out and is replaced by a simple "killed in action". 

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. Obi-Wan didn't really register it as his full focus was on filling the report and not falling asleep.

"Sir?" Cody opened the door and peeked in. He entered the room when he saw Obi-Wan staring at him with tired eyes, his reactions slow. "I didn't see you in the mess hall today so I brought you some rations and caf."

"Thank you, Cody."

"It's nothing, sir," Cody laid the food and the cup of coffee on the table. "I think you should get some rest, sir. You look pretty tired."

"I just need to finish these reports and sign the casualties count and the request for new troops."

"I'm sure this can wait a few hours. At least catch a break and eat something."

"I will have enough time for a break after I finish my paperwork."

"Sir, we both know that's a lie. You've done enough work for today. We will be in hyperspace for almost two more days. There is enough time for you to catch some sleep."

"I'm pretty sure you didn't sleep either."

"Actually, sir I did. In the morning. Four whole hours, that's more than I've had in a while. Come on, sir, I know you are tired. Just... put the work aside, eat something and shut your eyes for a few moments. Simple as that," Cody (respectfully) took the datapad out of Obi-Wan's hand. Then when the Jedi didn't really react, he pressed the cup into Obi-Wan's hand.

Obi-Wan was ashamed of himself. Cody had to care for him like he was a youngling. But his tired brain couldn't bring his body to cooperate. So he just sat there, letting Cody's glowed hands manipulate him.

"Now that you've eaten, let's get you to bed," Cody most certainly wasn't trained nor paid enough for this but he still led his general to stand up and helped him to remove the little armor he wore. It probably wasn't ideal to sleep in the dirty robes either but Cody really wasn't about to undress his CO any further. Not that Obi-Wan would resist. The other man was that tired he wouldn't resist if Cody was about to throw him out the airlock. "Now lie down," Cody pushed Obi-Wan on the bed and tucked him under the blanket. "Now just close your eyes and get some rest, sir. I will wake you up if needed."

Obi-Wan didn't answer. He just finally closed his eyes and just a few seconds later, his breathing steadied as he fell into the darkness of sleep.

And Cody let him sleep the whole night. And the whole morning. He counted Obi-Wan's hours of sleep in the last few weeks and it was far from sufficient. At least now his Jedi could rest. 

And when Obi-Wan finally woke up, he was surprised to find all of the paperwork filled, just waiting for his signature. He had to remember to buy Cody a drink the next time they were planetside.

Hello everyone! I'm back at writing this. I think my writing style changed a little (not much tho), I hope you still like it. As always, your feedback is welcome.