Chapter 2: Liana

Leo woke up with a giant yawn. I looked up from grooming myself and nodded at him as he went by me. Dad was talking to Leo on the rock. It was probably something about being future king as usual. Don’t get me wrong, being a king is important, but it must get boring sometimes.
I wonder what I should do today? I saw Amara walk in and wondered where she’d been. She was always wandering off this way and that.
“Hey, Amara,” I got up and padded over to her “Where have you been?”
“Oh, just wandering around the edges of Fiercerock” she said in a cocky voice.
“You’re not supposed to go there without another lion! It can be dangerous!” I exclaimed.
“I’m fine. See?” she gestured to herself, “Nothing happened to me and nothing’s going to happen to me.” she said glaring at me. I sighed. When was Amara going to learn? The Savanna was dangerous for lion cubs.
Just then Leo came bounding in. He seemed oblivious to what was happening, but he always was. All he wanted to do was have fun.
“Hi! Is Ayan awake?” he said excitedly. He and Ayan were best friends. They were inseparable.
“Ayan’s in the dirt den”, Amara said dryly as she glared at me. I glared back. Just then Ayan walked in. He walked over to Leo, took one look between me and Amara, and grabbed Leo by the scruff and dragged him out, mumbling some excuse about having to go somewhere. A confused expression entered Leo’s face, but he let Ayan drag him away. My eyes returned to Amara.
“I’m just saying you should be more careful. Remember the tales that the lionesses told us? The vultures, the hyenas? They’re out there. It’s not safe for us lion cubs.” I turned away, “Just be more careful.”