Chapter 4: Amara

I set my pads down lightly, feeling the smooth floor of the main den. There was no one around as the first light of dawn shined in, setting it aglow. I snuck out into the dawn air and shivered as I felt the cool breeze. I have to hurry if I want to get back before the others wake up. I jumped down from Fiercerock, landing on the brittle grass below.
I ran across the savanna at full speed as oranges and reds stretched across the sky. I have to hurry if I’m going to make it! I arrived at the borders of Fiercerock and pushed through the inner wall of thorn bushes, wincing as the thorns pulled at my fur. I reached the outer wall, gaping at the size. It stretched high above me with no space to squeeze through. I realized that the dawn lights were fading and the sun would soon reach its peak. I have to go back quickly before they notice I’m gone! I squeezed back through the inner wall of thorn bushes and ran as fast as lightning. I arrived just as the sun reached its peak and I jumped onto Fiercerock. I walked into the den trying to look as calm as possible, slowing my beating heart. Liana looked up as I entered the den.
“Hey Amara. Where have you been?” she asked. I decided to tell her the truth. She was my best friend, so obviously.
“I was just wandering around the edges of Fiercerock,” I replied
“You’re not supposed to go there without another lion! It can be dangerous!” She exclaimed. Huh. Guess I shouldn’t have told her
“I’m fine, see? Nothing happened to me and nothing’s going to happen to me.” I said. Leo came bounding in, obviously not noticing that we were having an argument.
“Hi! Is Ayan awake?” he asked
“He’s in the dirt den,” I said, glaring at Liana. Just then Ayan walked in, and walked over to Leo. He grabbed Leo by the scruff and pulled him towards the Sun den entrance, mumbling about having to do something. I returned my glare to Liana just as she said
“Remember the tales the lionesses told us about the dangers outside of Fiercerock? It’s really dangerous out there. Just be more careful.” She turned away and walked into the dirt den.
Hmp! I am careful! I sighed. I guess I’ll just go see if I can help the lionesses hunt or something. Then I’ll go and catch bugs, maybe.