Chapter 8

"So we have the wolves" Klaus smiled smugly and stomped his feet up on the table

"Yes we do" Elijah nodded to assure him "there isn't much but we have the wolves"

"But we will lose half of our city" he glared at Elijah with fire in his eyes "what made you think of that?"

"Odds are that the wolves will die in the battle against the witches, if not... It won't be too hard to rid the rest" he explained

"My brother" Niklaus stood up and patted him on the back "even more scheming than me"

Elijah shook his head, he knew that if Lana was here, she would say something like 'you're not half as bad as Niklaus' because recently her dislike for him had increased.

"I assume that your little girlfriend helped you" he asked with a smile wiped across his face "we had a nice little chat before she left"

"Oh really? And what did you speak about exactly, because I sense some tension between the two of you" Elijah raised his eyebrows to show his curiosity

"Well, she got a little too big for her boots for my liking, I simply just put her into place" Klaus turned around to leave

"You lay one finger on her and I swear you'll regret it" Elijah shouted to him

Klaus turned around and sped up to Elijah quickly "I will do whatever I want to do, it is you that needs to keep her in check" and then he disappeared.

-

The night fell and all of the vampires that Niklaus had turned all gathered in the compound. They all spoke quietly between themselves until, of course, Klaus showed his face.

"Tonight" he shouted "we raid the city, we take no prisoners"

"Wait" Lana stood next to him "you're saying we are just raiding? Like murdering innocent people?"

"We do not know who is innocent and who is not in this city, we make an example for them" Klaus retaliated

"I apologise but I'm not killing innocent people to make an example" Lana argued "Elijah taught us better than that"

"Well you've been spending an awful lot of time with my brother recently" Klaus snarled, how dare she speak to him like that?

"What? Are you actually jealous of me and your brother?" She laughed "at least I actually care about him, at least I wouldn't leave him with those wolves"

Klaus quickly grabbed her forehead and smashed her skull into the wall behind them, earning a rather satisfying cracking sound. The blood on his hands, from Lana, dropped down immensely as the crowd watched.

"Niklaus" Elijah pushed his way through the crowd and stood between his brother and the temporarily dead vampire "why?"

"She's much too... You, for my liking, I prefer my vampires to have my opinions, not yours" Klaus scoffed, passing Elijah and nudging the body with his foot "she'll be up soon"

Niklaus rounded up the other vampires and motioned them out until the compound was completely empty.

"That bastard" Lana said with her first breath. Her hand flew to the back of her head and tried to wipe off the dried blood.

"He doesn't like it when you have an opinion" Elijah stroked Lana's hair

"I know" she huffed "I don't like him very much"

"I can tell" Elijah smiled at her "I'm just glad you're okay"

"Where were you anyway?" Lana asked "shouldn't have you been rounding vampires up as well?"

Elijah grew silent. He didn't want to tell Lana the truth just yet. "I've been around" he said after moments of thinking and analysing the consequences of his lies.

"Oh" Lana said, pressing her lips together in a fake smile.

Elijah sneaked through the back alleys of the French quarter. Dodging vampires at every corner, he definitely did not want anyone to see him at this moment or, God forbid, follow him.

"I didn't know you would come" the small voice matched the small woman who walked in front of him

Elijah retrieved a small note from his inner pocket. 'Please meet me behind the southern spot -Maria'

"You wrote a letter" Elijah spoke as if he were enchanted by her blue eyes and her platinum blonde hair "how could I refuse?"

"I'm sure your brother had something to say" she walked up to him, weaving her arm in his

"He doesn't know, of course" Elijah accidentally touched her flawless hand and recoiled instantly. Maria laughed and moved her hand in closer to touch his.

"And what about the other girl?" Maria asked, which stopped Elijah's heart instantly, what would Lana think about this? She would have something to say, he was certain of that

"She doesn't know either" he muttered, so quiet that he thought Maria wouldn't be able to hear.

She scoffed. "Is she your girlfriend?" She asked

"It is complicated" that's what Elijah could some his relationship up with. Complicated.

"Why is that?" She tilted her head like a puppy as they walked

"It seems I have been to careless when diving in to a relationship, it turns out my brother, Niklaus, has taken it upon him to make my life miserable, he knows I now have a weakness" Elijah had never really confided anyone about this before.

"It sounds like your brother is a menace" she said, running her fingers through her hair "maybe a clean slate is in order? If you really like her, you should let her go"

"That's what I'm afraid of" Elijah sighed

"If it were me, I would be really careful" she stopped and turned around, there was something about this girl that lured Elijah in and made him feel so comfortable "if I had the chance, I could show you" her lip twitched into a half smile

"I'd like that" Elijah smiled in return "but my brother is gathering the vampires in the compound and he is expecting me"

"Then we shall meet again, tomorrow night" she grabbed his hand "say you will?"

"I will"