Chapter 20

They walked down the street, arm in arm but an awkward silence hung in the air like an out of date air freshener.

Elijah was watching his feet move and Lana was looking up at the lights in the houses.

"Elijah, I think it's time I came completely clean with you" Lana broke the silence.

He nodded "maybe if we find somewhere a bit more private, no more prying ears and no other people to intervene"

Lana nodded and followed him as he weaved his way through the streets.

Elijah broke open the door of a derelict house in the quarter and held it open for Lana to step through.

It obviously wasn't inhabited, due to the vampires being able to enter as they pleased. "Romantic" Lana scoffed quietly to herself once the stench of rat faeces and the look of mould covering every crevice of the room hit her.

"Sit" Elijah motioned, there was one very dirty looking floral sofa in the middle and a very old TV. Which, Lana knew, it did not work.

Lana perched on the end, trying not to dirty her clothes and Elijah sat next to her. "I need to hear the story, from you" he looked at her with curiosity "without anyone else here, no Niklaus, no prying ears"

Lana felt the butterflies grow in her stomach and they pounded against it as if they wanted to get out. Lana wanted to get out. But why? Because she was nervous of the outcome of her foolish decisions? The man she had loved and still does is sat in front of her, practically begging for answers. Should she tell the truth? Or will that hurt him too much, maybe a lie would calm him down more.

"I don't want any lies" he said as if he were reading her thoughts like a best selling novel "I know when you're lying, Lana, your eyebrow twitches ever so slightly"

He noticed. Lana wondered how many times he's examined her and how long it had taken for him to realise. She had rarely lied when she was a young vampire, but now, lies are what she lived off. Lies are how she survives in a city like Chicago.

"You told me, when you were under her influence"she gulped and finally began to speak "that you didn't love me, you said that I couldn't even get my parents to love me"

Elijah opened his mouth as if to protest but Lana kept on going

"I know it isn't true, but it had me thinking, I had been in Louisiana for my entire life and all it had brought me was bad luck and bad memories; for starters, my parents didn't want me, and so I moved to the city, where I lowered myself to working as a bar maid in a brothel" she took his hand, his cold hand that made her feel as if she were at home

"Elijah I was days away from throwing myself in to the St.Louis river, but then, despite how scary it was, I found Klaus and then I found you, I finally had a family and someone to actually care a about me" Elijah squoze her hand tighter, he was not letting her go

"But then, Maria happened and I now know that it was all a spell, but it still made me feel awful, being in New Orleans made me feel awful. And so, when you staked me, I saw my opportunity and I took it" she shuffled a bit closed and placed her other hand on his forearm.

"I knew you would blame yourself if Klaus told you I had left, I knew that you would blame yourself if Klaus told you that someone else had killed me, you would blame yourself just as much as what you did when you believed you killed me" she inhaled and exhaled to try and hold back tears "I wanted to come back home so much, for years I contemplated the consequences, and one main on was a sacrifice of my happiness, I had made vampires I had made a family there, I couldn't just leave it. And so when Klaus rang me, asking me for my help, it took me a moment to think but I decided it could be good for me"

"I completely understand" Elijah comforted her "you needed to get away and you took the opportunity"

"But there something you're not quite sure on" She said "I was planning on moving back to Chicago so I didn't need any... Ties, and I realised how much I still felt for you and I didn't wanna kind of, get back together because I was leaving"

Elijah nodded his head.

"But I was really wrong and I didn't realise that you actually felt as much as I felt for you and now I've realised it" she said quickly trying to get everything into one sentence "and Elijah, I love you"

Elijah's head perked up at the word love. Nobody had told him that they loved him that often, and here she was. Perfect as ever, looking at him with her wide eyes that had the power to just melt him, saying she loved him. Why should he deny himself such a luxury.

"And I've always been scared of saying that I loved someone because everyone always leaves me, but I don't care, I love you Elijah Mikaels-" she was cut off by Elijah's lips crashing down against hers on the scruffy sofa they were sat on.

Lana had to place her hand behind her to keep her upright, Elijah kissed her with that much force.

"I love you" he said in return, breaking off the kiss and leaving Lana absolutely speechless and breathless "and I'm not going to deny myself of this anymore" he gently swiped a piece of hair from her face and twirled it around his finger as he examined every part of her face.

And then they crashed together again, Lana pawing at Elijah's chest as he pushed her back on the sofa.

She didn't even care if her cardigan was going to get dirty.

She tried to undo his buttons, but Elijah was already sliding her clothes of easily.

Instead, she just decided to rip it, she could apologise for it later. She ran her fingers down his chiseled chest.

Eventually all of their clothes lay in a very messy pile on the floor next to the sofa.

Elijah began to kiss her lips and then gently lower to her neck, nipping at her collar bone and earning a small gasp when she felt his fangs draw a small amount of blood.

As Elijah began to work on her collar bone Lana extended her fangs and showed her vampire face, involuntarily.

Elijah moaned as he felt Lana's hands on his back and her nails dig in. It was the best sound she had heard.

Something came over Lana, usually she would just lie back and let Elijah take his course but something felt odd.

She used her strength and flipped Elijah over, so she was ascending on him and digging her fangs into his neck.

Elijah snarled at the feel of his blood draining from his body. He never expected Lana to be like that.

Eventually she had her fill and flipped her head back, wiping the blood from the corner of her mouth and sucking it off her fingers.

"Okay" her voice didn't sound anything like it used to, it was more croaky where she was usually so peppy.

Maybe it was just the moment, Elijah thought. He had waited for this moment with her ever since they had gotten together. He was only doubting himself.

He looked up at her and began kissing her passionately again.