Part 24

Dropping off Autumn at the bus stop was upsetting. More upsetting than I thought it would be.

"I wish I could just stay here with you." Autumn sighed, "I really don't want to go back home."

"It won't be your home for long." I said to Autumn, "You're going to wind up at a good college after you graduate in a couple of months. Remember that."

Ezra nodded in agreement.

"Thank you, Eve. And Ezra. I had so much fun with you both. Maybe I'll even take another bus down before your semester ends." Autumn said, with a sad smile.

My heart really went out to her. She spent a weekend here- and now had to go back to our hometown. I knew I would be feeling the same if I was in her position.

Ezra and I waited in the the car until her bus came a few minutes later- and Ezra waved to her until she disappeared onto the bus.

"I'll start driving in a minute." Ezra said.

I looked at her, and she was staring ahead, hands on the wheel. She was blinking continuously- and I knew she was blinking back tears.

"She's going to be okay." I said to Ezra, "In a few months time, she'll be going to college and getting the fuck away from Seneca Hills."

"I know." Ezra nodded, "I just...well, I guess I wasn't expecting to be this upset to see her go. That's all."

Ezra turned to me and she had tears in her eyes. Before I could say anything, she wiped at her eyes and said, "I need to stop being a pussy. Sorry."

"Don't apologize." I said, "And you're not being a pussy."

"I kind of hope she goes to college here. That would be pretty cool." Ezra said, and she started the car.

I wasn't looking forward to work that night, as I knew that I would be working with Sammie. As I got ready for work, Ezra sat in my room with me.

"So...I technically won our bet, right?" she said, somewhat jokingly, "Sammie asked you out within two months."

"Seriously, Ezra?" I chuckled.

"Hey, a bet is a bet!" Ezra laughed, "You have to do something that I want."

"And what would that be?" I asked Ezra as I put on some lipgloss.

"Here, I'll keep it simple for you. Especially considering the circumstances around Sammie now. Walk to 7-11 with me after your shift and we can get candy together. That's all I ask."

"Hey, that's simple enough." I said, "You've got a deal."

Even though I hadn't seen Honey since the party at Jack's over a week before, we had still been texting on and off. And she had told me she was working that day. I decided to stop into Starbucks before work to grab a drink and say hello to her.

When I walked into Starbucks and saw her, I immediately noticed that it looked like she got her hair done. It looked like it had been blown out, and the color looked extremely vibrant and pretty.

Her face lit up when she saw me walk in.

"Your hair looks beautiful." I said to her before I ordered, "Did you get it done?"

"I did." Honey smiled, "Thank you. I'm thinking of doing something different with my color the next time, but I couldn't quite let it go this time. You like it, though?"

"I love it!" I said, "It looks amazing."

"Thanks, Eve. That means a lot."

"Of course." I said, "I'm glad I was able to see you today, even if it is while you're at work and I'm on the way to mine.