𝐎𝐧𝐞

★★★

★★★

Perched on the porch of my childhood home, a single-story house that held countless memories, I reflected on the years that had passed. From the age of 16 until now, at 22, this place had been my sanctuary. It was where I had grown up, where I had experienced the joys and sorrows of my teenage years. But now, it was time to say goodbye.

As I sat there, lost in my thoughts, my attention was drawn to the figure of my older brother, Javon, standing by the door. His face was adorned with a warm smile, a sight that both comforted and saddened me. The tears welled up in my eyes, threatening to spill over. Unable to hold them back any longer, they cascaded down my cheeks. Javon hurriedly made his way towards me, taking a seat in front of me, his presence as a source of solace.

"Don't cry, everything will be alright, I promise," he reassured me, his voice filled with genuine concern. I struggled to find my voice amidst the tears. "You can't make that promise," I managed to choke out, and he reached out to gently wipe away my tears. "I couldn't promise to keep the house, but I can promise you this: I want nothing more than to see you happy, just like Mom wanted," he said, his words carrying the weight of his love and devotion.

With a heavy sigh, I wiped away my tears, mustering the strength to stand up. Javon offered me his hand, and together we took one last glance at the house that held so many cherished memories. The image of our mother laughing in the kitchen, while I clumsily made a mess, flashed through my mind. Overwhelmed by a wave of nostalgia and heartache, I knew I had to leave before more painful memories flooded in. And so, with a mix of sadness and hope, we walked away from the house that had been our haven for so long.

The drive to grandma's house was filled with the sound of 90s music, as Javon drove us in our shared 2000s convertible.

As we finally arrived at my Nana's house, the sun had already set, casting a dim glow over the neighborhood. Unfortunately, Nana was still caught up at her mysterious job, leaving us to wait for her arrival. Javon, always one to have peculiar thoughts, speculated about what her job could possibly be. However, I couldn't bring myself to entertain his ideas at that moment.

"Goodnight pumpkin," Javon called out to me, his voice carrying across the distance between us. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at his nickname for me.

"Stop that, Javon," I replied, trying to suppress a smile.

He chuckled mischievously. "Stop what?"

"Calling me that," I retorted, he stuck out his tongue playfully. With that, he made his way up to Uncle Dennis' room, which had now become his own. Meanwhile, I headed towards the guest room, eager to see what surprises Nana had in store for me.

As I stepped into the room, I was immediately captivated by the transformation Nana had made. The walls were adorned with an array of vibrant artwork, each piece reflecting my personal taste. Fairy lights twinkled above the bed, casting a warm and cozy glow. On one wall, a collection of polaroid pictures hung, capturing precious memories. It was clear that Nana had put a lot of thought and effort into creating a space that I would love.

Without wasting any time, I settled onto the bed, feeling the familiar weight of the necklace around my neck. As exhaustion washed over me, I let out a contented yawn.
"Goodnight, mama," I whispered softly, before surrendering to a deep and peaceful sleep.

__