𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

★★★

★★★

After I cried my eyes out, I finished help Grandma with cleaning up then I made my way back to my room, and started to unpack. I was so lucky that I didn't have much stuff to unpack since I barely had stuff anyways. After I finished unpacking, I grabbed my book bag, along with my laptop, USB drive and car keys. I left my room, and saw Javon sitting in front of the television, lighting his joint.

He paused momentarily upon noticing me, clutching my book bag tightly. His eyes met mine as he questioned, "You're seriously considering enrolling in college?"

I nodded affirmatively, my determination evident. "Yes, you should enroll someday," Javon scoffs and chuckled. "Har har you're funny," he said and I rolled my eyes.

"Anyways, Mama insisted that I should, especially since I still have the savings from Dad's inheritance." Javon just nodded in understanding and resumed his previous activity, lighting his joint. Curiosity got the better of me as I inquired, "Where's Nana?"

He informed me that she had left for her yoga class and would return around 1pm. Taking note of the time, I realized I had to hurry. "Well, I'll be back soon. Is there anything you need me to bring?"

Javon shook his head nonchalantly. "Nah, just make sure to fill up the car with gas," he replied, his attention already drifting back to the television.

"Alright, see ya later then," In a hurry, I swiftly departed from the house and hopped into the car. My destination was Briar Unity University, a prestigious college that happened to be my mother's top choice growing up. Upon arrival, I parked my car and made my way towards the campus. The hallways were filled with energetic students, creating a vibrant atmosphere that both excited and made me slightly nervous. As I approached the admissions office, a familiar face caught my attention.

Just as I was about to make a quick exit, she noticed me. "Oh no," I exclaimed.

"Deja!" She exclaims, trying to catch up with me.

I eventually stopped and turned around, feeling a bit embarrassed that she had witnessed my hasty departure. "Hello, Miss Daloris," I greeted her timidly, memories flooding back as she stepped forward to embrace me.

"Mommy can we go see Miss Dolaris pretty please?!" My mom chuckled, and nodded her head. "Sure thing my pretty girl,"

I jumped out of her lap, nearly falling to the ground. "Yay!" I exclaimed.

My dad just smiled over his new paper. "You sure it's not Cameron she's excited to go see?"

As my mom hurled her newspaper at him, my expression transformed from excitement to disgust, and eventually, I burst into laughter. "Jason, she's just 8 years old, plus he's her friend."

"Ya, you tell him mama, also Miss Dolaris lets me eat sweet," Both my parents look at me horrified.

"Oopsie,"

"What did you just say Missie?" My mom taunts, her hand now folded. I slowly started to back away from the kitchen. "Nothing,"

And I ran, with the sound of my dad's footsteps chasing after me.

Miss Dolaris and my mother had been best friends since childhood, growing up together in a foster home. They were like sisters, but their relationship became strained after an argument between my dad and James, Miss Dolaris' husband. My mother has kept the reason for her departure a secret, never sharing it with me or my brother Javon. It was always kept between the four adults.

At the time I was just 12 when it happened. I had felt scared cause the only one true friend I had was Cameron.

"Hey, hey, Deja, I'm sorry," she said, her voice snapping me back to reality. I felt the tears streaming down my face and quickly wiped them away.

As we pulled away from each other, I saw that she too had tears in her eyes. "I wish I could have been there," she said softly.

"I know," I replied, my voice choked with emotion. "She wished the same thing." We stood there for a moment, lost in our own thoughts.

"It's been so long," She said, stepping forward to hug me. "You look amazing with your gray hair. How have you been?" I told her and she chuckled.

Miss Daloris, smiled warmly at me. Her eyes crinkled with a hint of nostalgia. "I've been well, thank you. How about you, sweetheart? What brings you here?"

I explained my desire to enroll in college, to pursue my dreams and create a better future for myself after moving back here. Miss Daloris listened attentively, her kind gaze never wavering.

"Well, my girl, I am so proud of you. Your mother would be too," she said, her voice filled with genuine pride. "If there's anything I can do to help you on this journey, please don't hesitate to ask. It's about time you follow your dreams and make your mark on the world."

"Your words mean a lot to me, what are you doing here?" I asked, curiosity peek my mind.

"Oh, I'm a professor here, after me and James divorced. I stayed here with the kids, and decided to go back to teaching," I nodded, remembering my mom telling me all about their divorce which I wasn't too shocked about since growing up barely showed any type of affection. "Oh, Cameron goes here maybe you'll see him around, "

My heart skipped a beat at his name. "Maybe, I'll see him around," She nodded. "Well I must go now, I got a class in about 2 minutes but we should catch up sometime," I nodded, still stuck on the fact that Cameron was going here. "Sure, I would love that,"

"Bye Deja," She gives me one last hug, before departing in the other direction while I went back into the direction of where the office was. Once I reached inside, I let out a breathe that I didn't even know I was holding until I got inside.

Having seen Miss Dolaris, after not seeing her for years really open unhealed wounds and somehow bought little ole me piece.

"Noooo! I want to see Cameron mama, please," My mom gave me a look of pity, as she kneeled down to reach my heigh. "Baby, Cameron is not here anymore okay, you'll have to learn to make friends,"

"But I can't!" My mom reach up and wipe my tears from falling. "Yes, you can my smart girl, If mama can, so can you, I love you okay?" When I didn't say it back, her finger attacked my side and I satrted to giggle. "S-stop!"

"Say you love me," she kept attacking my sides. "I-I love you, mama," She stopped tickling me and leans in to place her forehead on mines. "Everything will alright my sweet Deja,"

"You promise,"

"I promise,"

"Welcome to Briar Unity University, "

After finishing the sign-in process and taking a campus tour, I stopped at a gas station to refuel my vehicle. While waiting for the tank to fill up, I went inside to buy some personal items such as Oreos, a soda, and two bags of peanuts. When I was done, it was already past 1 pm and Javon had been calling me repeatedly to come back home, blowing my phone up with notification, this only prompt me to drive slow but I didn't.

When I reached, Javon was already outside. "Took so fucking long, did you fill the tank?" I rolled my eyes, and got out of the car, all my bags in my hand. "Yes, I did, and you're welcome,"

He took the keys, and got into the drives seat. "Yeah, whatever,"

"Where are you going Javon?" I asked him, as the vehicle started. "None of your gah damn business mom, "

And with that he left, and I watched as he drove out of the drive way. After I went to check on nana, and saw that she was sleeping already so I went directly to my room, where I threw my stuff on the bed. A sighed escape out of my mouth, as I felt the weight of the world finally starting to let go.

★★★