Chapter 9: Is it allowed?

"It all started when i was 11. I went to the harbor for the first time, with my only company being my old Governess.

Old in the way, that i've had her ever since I could think. She herself was pretty young maybe in her mid-twentys...

But anyways, she had to visit her father and took me with her. I was really excited to be outside.
My father was really sick, and never had the strengh to play with me or go somewhere. So he took our last money to her me somswhat like a playmate.

My governess. She wasn't there for long, and I can't really remember her name. But I enjoyed the time with her.

Except that one time...at the harbor...

Everything was good at the start, we visited father, he showed me how the men load the ship. And even teached me how to do a sailor's knot.

And it was supposed to end after that visit. But my governess, told me that she had to visit someone else as well... So we made out way into the darker and dirtier parts of the harbor, to meet a woman.

She as well was around her mid-twentys, and seemed nice. But instead of just greeting each other they kissed.

'No big deal' most people would say. But it was for me. In my town, stuff like that was illegal, and society didn't excepted it. 

I mean even may west, was a person that people had different oppositions on back then. But...still.

I didn't know how to react, and I got scared. I was scared that something bad will happen to them, because they loved each other...

And I made me do something terrible......I went home and told my father, hopeing for advice or that he would explain it.

But all he did was to tell me not to worry about her anymore....and I haven't seen her again after that day...."

Mary looks down, tears streaming down her face again, as she hugs herself.
"It was my fault that something bad happened to my governess. Just because I couldn't keep quiet about it ..."

Claire was quiet, she didn't know what to say or how to react. So she just did was felt right, and pulled her into a hug.

Hugging her for a few minutes, without saying anything. Both girls, started to sort their thoughts and feelings, with Claire being the one to speak up First.

"You were a child...you didn't know it better. It wasn't your Intention to let anything happen to her..." Claire softly whispers.

But Mary could only nod..."I just don't know what I should feel about this situation. I don't know how to deal with it, and I dont know what of it is really my fault."

Claire looks at Mary not wanting to get more into her past, scared that it'll only hurt her more.
"So...you were never allowed to feel anything else than friendship towards another woman?" Claire asked, careful not to accidentaly ask something wrong.

"Yes...my father saw it as sinful, and wrong. Every relationship that wouldn't be able to have a child, was wrong for him."

Claire looks her directly into her eyes now "So...do you not have feelings for woman, because you just don't feel them....or because you weren't allowed to feel them?"

The sad look of the black haired girl, gave her all the answers she needed. And she only nodded.
"Well...If you're unsure, just try it out. Maybe read some stuff about it. A lot of the books in the library are sapphic romance novels...."

Mary looks up a bit confused by her answer.
To which Claire only replied giggling "The Mistress, Juliet. Isn't really closed about her attraction and interest towards women....so you'll find a lot of stuff like that. It might help"

Mary nods silently.... letting claire add something.

"And even if all the things the elderly tell are true, and we all go to hell. At least were at a place where we can't get rejected because someone is straight." The red head giggles again, but stops after seeing that Mary still seems to be unsure with her thoughts and feelings towards women.

Claire cleared her throat "...I don't really know how else to help you....sorry..."

Mary forced a little smile on her face "It is fine, thank you anyways for trying...I better make my way back now. The plan says that we both have to polish the floor in the big hall tomorrow morning. Apparently a 'guest will arrive' ...at least thats what was written under reasons."

"You're right....good night Mary. If you want I can bring you to your room...." Claire smiles softly, still feeling bad for not being able to help her.

The black haired maid, thought about it for a moment. But shakes her head "No thank you, its safer if only one goes. Otherwise you have to walk twice with that dog-wolf-demon thing or whatever it was...."

Claire nodded and opened the door for Mary, who looked outside first making sure that she'll make it back to her room in one piece.
After the quick check she quickly walked down the hall, into the direction of her room.

"Ha, nothing here this time?" She smiled to herself, right before bumping into someone, falling down on the floor.
Her heart beated heavily now, if that was the Demon she'd be dead now.

3 Meters away from her room door.

But the person in front of her, quickly pulled her back up on her feet, and walked away.

Mary stood there confused, but quickly made her way into her room, after hearing a loud scream from the ghost Lady from the first night.

So after quickly shutting the door, and laying down in her bed. She had time to think about the encounter she just had. Whoever that was, was definitly taller than Mary, and had a strong grip.

It could have been a men...but Mistress's rule was that no men were allowed here....was it a intruder? Or a lover of one of the Maids?...

Mary didn't think about it more, once exaustion and tirednes washed over her, making her fall into a deep sleep...

To be continued....