Chapter 3

Someone was at the door, and Coriane was covered in dirt.

She had just returned from helping Walter chase down a missing colt, and after struggling to keep it at bay for the last half hour, felt ready to sleep for a million years.

The rest of the servants were either up north with Julian or occupied with other duties.

Checking herself in a hallway mirror, she ran to the door, hoping it was just Walter, the old man frequently locking himself out of the yard and having to wait at the front.

She opened the door. The muscular man standing in front of her was most definitely not Walter.

Breathing heavily from her sprint, she dipped into a curtsey, silently cursing at her disheveled appearance.

"Your highness.... Excuse my.... Appearance.... I... Was-"

A loud crash came from one of the rooms above her.

Standing up abruptly in relief, she glanced quickly at Tibe who was looking at her in amusement, "If you'll excuse me..."

She turned and hurried down the hall, remembering the night a few weeks ago. She was sure that he had forgotten her as soon as he had met her. But she had not forgotten him.

She ran up the stairs to the second level of the house, hoping that he wouldn't follow her.

She slammed open the door to the room above the foyer, gasping for air before she processed what she was seeing and freezing in shock.

It was the first music room, where they stored musical instruments, and also served as one of her frequent hideaways. A cello had been knocked over, along with the flute display case. And Julian was lying on his back on the piano, with Sara in a compromising position over him. Their faces were only inches apart, and a silver stain lit her cheeks.

Breaking out of her surprise at the situation, she hissed, "Get up you two! The prince is here!" And glancing over her shoulder and spotting Tibe stepping up on the landing, "Hurry!"

Sara's head shot up to meet Coriane's gaze in silent apology before tripping over herself as she hurried to get off of the piano.

Julian stood up silently, a glazed look in his eyes, standing an uncomfortable distance away when the prince entered the room.

Tibe quirked an eyebrow at Coriane in question, an amused smile crossing his face.

Coriane glanced at the two, realizing she had not introduced them, "Your highness, may I present my brother Julian Jacos, and friend Sara of the Skonos house."

She saw what looked like relief in his eyes, "Please, call me Tibe".

After a moment of awkward silence, she turned to Tibe, "Sorry for leaving you in the foyer, but may I ask, what business are you here on?"

He folded his hands in front of him, giving her a light smile, "To speak to you, actually".

"Oh.. Umm", she glanced at Sara and Julian in distress, to which Julian smirked before walking by, slapping her shoulder, his eyes saying a silent good luck. Sara hurried after Julian, flashing Coriane an encouraging smile.

Then they were alone

Coriane glanced at the fallen instruments before rushing over, trying to right the large cello, "Sorry about the mess in here, there must've been some.... Unbalance".

After the instrument was back on it's stand she looked to Tibe, wringing her hands, "Sorry, but what did you want to speak to me about?"

He shifted awkwardly from one foot to the other, running a hand through his dark hair nervously, "Uhhh... I'm not entirely sure."

"Oh?"

He cleared his throat, "Uh, I guess I just wanted to get to know you?"

Coriane froze before speaking, "Uh, sure.
Would you care to join us for lunch?"

Relief crossed his face, "Yes, very much."

Clapping her hands together, she walked past him, leading him back to the stairwell, "Okay then. Lunch will be served soon, and I must change out of these clothes, and I'd like to once again apologize for my appearance", she spoke, feeling suddenly conscientious of her dirt covered pants and sweat soaked shirt.

He looked her in the eye, "You're beautiful no matter what you wear, so there is no need to apologize."

She felt as though her entire body had filled with butterflies racing through her veins.

His eyes were a flaming red and gold, reminding her too much of that horrible night long ago. But comparatively, his were warm and comforting, not like the violent storm of sparks and flames.

She broke the eye contact, look back to the stairs, "The dinning room is the second door on the left, but we typically have lunch outside, so, the servants are probably setting up out back, in which case just ask anyone around the house where that is and they'll direct you."

She bolted to the safety of her bedroom after that.

***

Sooo, I'm faced with a horrible writer's block on all of my other stories, so I think I'm just gonna hang out on this one for awhile.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I imagine Tibe as this super confident guy until he starts talking to pretty girl, and then it's just awkward word vomit. But it doesn't seem like awkward word vomit to other people, just him, and he really just wants to know Coriane and I just-

Ugh. I don't even know.

But that SaraxJulian moment, huh? *raises eyebrow suggestively*

VOTE, COMMENT, CAKE.
-Eliza