Chapter 4

He was an idiot. Tibe hadn't known exactly what had pushed him to tell her that, and why he hadn't done it in a more endearing or at the very least less awkward fashion.

All he knew was that he looked into her eyes and saw the universe. They were mesmerizing. The light brown rings seeming to almost swirl, merging with the darker rings and all but lighting the small gold flecks on fire with the way they shone. They were nearly a light amber, a color that reminded him of his first full flame he had created when he was younger.

He ran a hand through his hair, feeling extremely incompetent. What was he doing here? She had enchanted him, for sure, but what reason did she have to look at him as anything but a royal?

At the rate he was going, he would end up courting her by the end of the next day. And even though the idea appealed to him, he was nearly certain she didn't share the same mind set on that topic.

He stepped out onto the first floor, looking down the hallway before heading down the hall to look for someone who could direct him outside.

He smiled at the rustic but modern surroundings. He had been surrounded by silks and shining metal his entire life- to see even a speck of dirt was frowned upon by the higher houses. But when he was younger, he used to sneak out disguised as a lower silver under a different name and would play with the other children at the local market place. He missed it.

He shook himself out of his memories, stopping an older man, who was muttering something about rebelling furries, to ask for directions to where lunch would be being served.

He learned that the man's name was Walter, and that he had been with the Jacos family for a long time, and that in all of his years as a Red servant he hadn't been struck as he had been with previous employers. In fact, the Jacos family preferred to befriend Reds, rather than other Silvers who would look down on the rust blooded.

When Walter inquired about why he had come to visit, Tibe mentioned wanting to speak to Coriane, and the man's eyes lit with a mischievous light.

"Is that what the Silvers are calling it these days? Why, back in my day, all of us Silver and Red blooded simply called fu-"

"Walter!"

He turned around, hearing Coriane's sharp embarrassed reprimand. He almost laughed at her expression, a silver flush tinting her lightly tanned face.

Walter chuckled, "Sorry, lady, just informing your prince here how we old traditionals used to do things."

She sighed before reaching back to check her hair, which was plaited in a neat french braid, "Walter, would you mind checking on the colts? I'll be out in a moment?"

Walter nodded, leaving with a smirk firmly in place on his wearied time worn face.

Coriane gestured for Tibe to follow her down a corridor, watching as she once again checked her braid, realizing it must be a habit of sorts.

"Walter's been like a father to me", she sighed, a slight tired amusement in her voice, "And never ceases to tease me and any guests who come to our estate, noble blooded or otherwise".

Tibe laughed, recalling his own stiff silent servants, thinking of the many times he had tried to start a conversation with one of them. He wistfully wished briefly of a less silent and lonely childhood.

"So you mentioned wanting to get to know me? Am I under a interrogation or watch?"

He ran a hand through his hair, trying to think of a good reason, "Not exactly..."

She led him down another corridor and out into open air. There was a long table in the center of the garden, surrounded by flowers of fire shades. Only half the places at the pine wood table were set, stopping at a low nine.

"Lunches here are not very formal, and everyone who lives here is welcome to sit and eat. Our customs are very different from the others. Do you mind at all?"

He shook his head, "Not at all."

She smiled at him, "Good, so, seat yourself, and I'll be back in a moment, I have to help Walter, and lunch should be served in..." She paused for a second to ponder the thought, "Five maybe ten minutes? Will you be fine on your own?"

He grinned at her, "I've spent most of my life alone, I'm sure a couple of minutes won't kill me."

Her face fell slightly, and he wanted to hit himself. He was the biggest idiot in the kingdom. He was merely stating a fact, but it must've triggered an unhappy memory, and he could feel the burner around his wrist heating up.

Her face cleared before she gave him a small nod and a smile, turning around and walking back into the house.

He looked down at the burned, twisting it absentmindedly.

The last time it had heat up like that was when his mother, a Shadow, had become stricken with a disease, that unwillingly turned her abilities against her, and she had to be silenced.

All the other times it had been times of extreme emotion. He twisted the burner once more before throwing a glance over his shoulder to the door which Coriane had disappeared through, thinking briefly about her flame like eyes, and what his father had meant by "past".

***

929! So ha!

Okay, I've been MIA for awhile, and I'm sorry about that. This chapter was nearly done, but some whacky stuff has been going on for awhile... So here's the chapter! A whole lot later than it was supposed to be.....

*le sigh*

So, because there's so little in the book on Cal's parents and the details surrounding the houses, I'm trying to get a feel for personalities and build from there.

Example: The Jacos house is a looked down on house, even though their Silvers are very powerful.

Moi idea: Unfortunate event plunged the Jacos into social exile and disdain.

Anyways, please do keep that in mind, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE SECOND BOOK COMES OUT CAUSE OMYGODS I NEED IT AND DOES ANYONE KNOW IF SHE'S STARTED ON IT YET?!

Vote, comment, cake!
-Eliza