12 | Here's To Nothing

Without further ado, here's chapiter twolve:

Chapter 12: Here's To Nothing

"MILLIE!" Cearra cried out as if Voldemort had replaced her voice.

She sounded like a cross between a grim reaper and a powerpuff girl. A lot for me to handle right now.

She grabbed my arm the moment I entered the party, not noticing the box in my hand, "Millie, I'm dying of embarrassment. I can't believe I called Luke hot in the car. It was in front of you, in front of him and in front of Austin."

I nodded, my mind still flashing with the imagery of Luke sitting on the pavement outside, devastated.

"I'm the worst and I'm so sorry," she apologized, speaking a million miles a minute, "I've told you before that I used to have a big crush on Luke, and it was all fun and games until you started dating him and we started being friends and now it's awkward because he's no longer this distant godlike man we fawn over. He's actually your boyfriend-"

"Breathe Cearra," I turned to my friend, having not understood most of the words she said.

She twisted her hair in her hands, staring down in what I imagined was embarrassment. "I know I talk too much. I speak my mind, which is a bad thing and just know that my mom is working on that with me."

I stared at her, a true friend. And so I asked her something I would've never dreamed of asking her before. 

"You haven't slept with him, have you?"

Cearra's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of the sockets. "Are you insane?!"

"Ok," I exhaled a giant sigh, breaking a smile at my own stupidity, "It was a stupid question-"

"Millie, I only dream of marrying him and having a dog named Claude because that's what half this school does. I don't actually plan on doing any of those things ever with anyone. It's just a figure of speech, you know?"

I nodded. 

"I have like fifteen crushes and he's just someone who actually goes to my high school," she continued, "I wish Jimin did."

Yeah, Jimin coming to Preston Oakes would definitely take the spotlight off Luke.

Cearra kept on talking. She gets very talkative when she's nervous and she was extra nervous by how strangely quiet I was. 

We were talking in one corner of the living room and I still had sight of the front door, wondering if Luke was ever going to walk through it. 

"People have slept with Luke and they talk about it and... others want to and..." Cearra was looking so twisted and conflicted again. She exhaled and rushed her last sentence, "But it's all different now because he's with you and we're friends. I just need to adjust my language."

Suddenly, I saw the front door slowly open, and I saw Luke's body before I saw his face. He was looking down as he re-entered the party, his perfectly chiselled face so serious.

"Cearra, let's go to the backyard," I yanked her hand and pulled her away, "Have you seen Doz?"

I didn't want Luke to see me.

We hurried away and I only looked back at Luke once. He was so handsome that it took all my effort not to run back and kiss every inch of his face. I just had to remember the box of pages that were in my hand.

He wasn't standing alone for long. People almost immediately came up to him, as they always do. 

Luke doesn't know loneliness. He's never had a chance to get acquainted.